Whose speech would you want to hear?

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
It's graduation time again, and pretty soon we'll be hearing of some famous person giving a graduation speech at a graduation. Most of the time my attitude is ... meh. But there are one or two people on this planet from which I would love to hear advice for the future. My 2 top choices are Gary Null (health guru) and William Shatner. What would your top choices be?

Reactions: Debi
How about "nobody". I think just hand over those diploma's, give 'em a hand and off they go to meet the REAL world. If they're not prepped for it by then, it doesn't matter who's giving them "sage" advice! And the idea of paying someone mega bucks to show up and yack at people is ridicules. Let them set up an autograph stand and charge $5....the kids would pay more attention to that approach anyway and at least take something away from the appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird and surge
How about "nobody". I think just hand over those diploma's, give 'em a hand and off they go to meet the REAL world. If they're not prepped for it by then, it doesn't matter who's giving them "sage" advice! And the idea of paying someone mega bucks to show up and yack at people is ridicules. Let them set up an autograph stand and charge $5....the kids would pay more to that approach anyway and at least take something away from the appearance.
I agree. Matthew McConaughey just received $140,000 last week for speaking at the University of Houston for 45 minutess, and apparently he was speaking about bizarre topics at times.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/05/17/matthew-mcconaughey-s-bizarre-commencement-speech/21184262/

What I don't like is when they bring in a person who just sees it as a spotlight to drone on about their personal beliefs and politics. If I invest four years and thousands of dollars, I don't want some ad for politics. I think the president of the college speaking briefly, and the class valedictorian, but everyone just wants that piece of paper and get out of there.

As far as a good speaker in general, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I'll try to come up with one.

Reactions: surge, sal and Debi
OK...the only speakers that might be worth a listen are Art Bell or other paranormal speakers!
awe.gif

Reactions: sal
Actually, I think Sinise would be a great speaker. AND give a good message. I think I'd even pay to hear him speak.

Reactions: Seahunter
I agree with Debi... just give me my diploma and get out of the way!

I think Gary Sinise would be an excellent pick, though, if I just had to sit through a commencement speech.

Reactions: Debi and Seahunter
I think it'd be much better to give every single student who wished to speak, a shot at speaking for 1-2 minutes when grabbing that diploma. Tell us your hopes, your fears, & so be it. the focus should be on the phase going behind you & any sense of accomplishment felt, or regret- it reminds kids about the quickness which with life passes, and the trials and tribulations...& if imagine some kids could unload some crap & move on with it. Let them tell us their experience, the audience of their peers don't care about some intangible advice delivered by a middle age adult, whose out of touch in so many caveats.

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
I think it'd be much better to give every single student who wished to speak, a shot at speaking for 1-2 minutes when grabbing that diploma.
I love that idea! One last time to hear from all your classmates before going out and scattering into the world.