"Who are you"

Paulm

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
"Who are you", As crazy as it seems, That is the first thing I ask as I start a new re-finish project.
So, as i began on the most recent one, a 1940's iron bed frame over the weekend, I sat down and introduced myself. as I touched the cold iron of the piece and felt the roughness of years of rust and neglect, i asked "Who are you?", "What have you seen?". and as I wiped it down with a wet rag I could almost feel it respond... "C'mon, lets find the "real" you again" I said.
So grinder in hand I began to peel back the years. first the rust from the years of being forgotten and stored away in the dark corner of a garage. Then came the five layers of paint of decades past. As I passed through each layer I cought glimpses, images of history.
I planned out when i started this one the end color would be a bright red, but something was telling me, showing me, it must be an antique white.
Once i reached the bare metal. it was like it was young again, a fresh start, and after the first base coat of primer, I could see the smoothness, the real piece come to life and thoughT "Yes. it has to be a white" but not just any white, a shade that is now in my mind. no variation will do.
Any time I do a re-finish i always use a color from the original piece. maybe just as trim, maybe in a place that is unseen. but a color must remain of the original, I will also never remove all blemishes or dents from the original piece, they are character, a piece of who they are. they have meaning.... someone has asked if I would do it in another color, I said "no"
Am I crazy?....is this just me?... or is this just my way of peeling back the years of myself?. Am I still just searching for the true "me?"
Or is this just something else entirely, I dont know.... perhaps it is a little of both. A connection with the past while also a reminder that we all have one. weve all seen good times, weve all had bad times, weve all made mistakes and made those choices we would like to do over. weve all experienced failures... and victories.
But we too, can all be re-finished

Paul, this is kinda parallel processes. I do the same thing. I flat out ask whatever I'm working on, "what color do you want to be ?"
Well, my stuff anyway. House, furniture, yard stuff.... Now, the customer tends to want to choose colors, so it's better to let 'em....

Fun to do the historical detective work, finding layers of colors. The big church we painted was probably done 4 times in a bit over 100 years..

And yes, you learn something about yourself along the way.
Glad you brought this up.

Sounds like a psychometry aspect Paul. You can pick up on vibes, flashes etc from items. I have never refinished stuff as you do, my artistic ability is made up in other ways...not that lol. Working in the trades i have picked up on many framing methods that aid in me old working things. Today i ran into a baffling way the previous electrician way back ran a certain wire i was gonna repull. Upon taking the switch and box out, all the feeds went down for a vaulted ceiling chandelier. Very strange. But found they went a completely unorthodox route and actually left slack so i was able to reuse my leg going to light. Win win...still odd why they did not go straight up wall...which threw red flags up as that was the route i would've tried to run new wire lol.

Sounds like a psychometry aspect Paul. You can pick up on vibes, flashes etc from items. I have never refinished stuff as you do, my artistic ability is made up in other ways...not that lol. Working in the trades i have picked up on many framing methods that aid in me old working things. Today i ran into a baffling way the previous electrician way back ran a certain wire i was gonna repull. Upon taking the switch and box out, all the feeds went down for a vaulted ceiling chandelier. Very strange. But found they went a completely unorthodox route and actually left slack so i was able to reuse my leg going to light. Win win...still odd why they did not go straight up wall...which threw red flags up as that was the route i would've tried to run new wire lol.

yeah i can sometimes pick up on things, that little "nuisance"....lol... is what has led me on this journey through the looking glass for quite sometime now.......and why i have probably ended up doing what i do with the restoration stuff. funny how everything falls into place if ya just go with it.....i went to trade school while still in high school my senior year. i had the credits to only have to do 1 class a day and under our vocational work program could leave school after first period, instead of a job we could also do a trade school so building construction and carpentry was my senior year, i knew art school was in my future but in 85' (before the digital era) art didnt pay well, and sometimes not at all, neither did philosophy (my other choice of study...this path leads to some strange directions and choices, huh?)... the trades are a good fit. i worked in building maintenance and construction after the military while in art school until it could become a hobby of restoration....the rest is history...lol.... although i will admit that little "nuisance" helps out in that with art, and restorations, i just "know" what someone wants....(is that cheating???.)

Paul, this is kinda parallel processes. I do the same thing. I flat out ask whatever I'm working on, "what color do you want to be ?"
Well, my stuff anyway. House, furniture, yard stuff.... Now, the customer tends to want to choose colors, so it's better to let 'em....

Fun to do the historical detective work, finding layers of colors. The big church we painted was probably done 4 times in a bit over 100 years..

And yes, you learn something about yourself along the way.
Glad you brought this up.
luckyily with restorations, always garage finds or other luck finds. (theres more out there than you can imagine) i can do it my way. so i let the pieces tell me their past, and go from there. sometimes it is quick and easy, and sometimes it takes months or longer to get the right feel and start...
yes, uncovering the past and seeing the different layers is always fun. every piece has a story to tell. you just have to listen for it. and while learning a little about yourself, you also leave a piece of yourself for the next one to come along and pick up where you left off. so always leave a positive piece of your essence to shape the next in line.

And, Thanks Paint, Im glad Im not the only one who talks to their work.......

"Who are you", As crazy as it seems, That is the first thing I ask as I start a new re-finish project.
So, as i began on the most recent one, a 1940's iron bed frame over the weekend, I sat down and introduced myself. as I touched the cold iron of the piece and felt the roughness of years of rust and neglect, i asked "Who are you?", "What have you seen?". and as I wiped it down with a wet rag I could almost feel it respond... "C'mon, lets find the "real" you again" I said.
So grinder in hand I began to peel back the years. first the rust from the years of being forgotten and stored away in the dark corner of a garage. Then came the five layers of paint of decades past. As I passed through each layer I cought glimpses, images of history.
I planned out when i started this one the end color would be a bright red, but something was telling me, showing me, it must be an antique white.
Once i reached the bare metal. it was like it was young again, a fresh start, and after the first base coat of primer, I could see the smoothness, the real piece come to life and thoughT "Yes. it has to be a white" but not just any white, a shade that is now in my mind. no variation will do.
Any time I do a re-finish i always use a color from the original piece. maybe just as trim, maybe in a place that is unseen. but a color must remain of the original, I will also never remove all blemishes or dents from the original piece, they are character, a piece of who they are. they have meaning.... someone has asked if I would do it in another color, I said "no"
Am I crazy?....is this just me?... or is this just my way of peeling back the years of myself?. Am I still just searching for the true "me?"
Or is this just something else entirely, I dont know.... perhaps it is a little of both. A connection with the past while also a reminder that we all have one. weve all seen good times, weve all had bad times, weve all made mistakes and made those choices we would like to do over. weve all experienced failures... and victories.
But we too, can all be re-finished
ummmmm.....i want my plastic surgeon to say that when he tries to lift my face off the floor

luckyily with restorations, always garage finds or other luck finds. (theres more out there than you can imagine) i can do it my way. so i let the pieces tell me their past, and go from there. sometimes it is quick and easy, and sometimes it takes months or longer to get the right feel and start...
yes, uncovering the past and seeing the different layers is always fun. every piece has a story to tell. you just have to listen for it. and while learning a little about yourself, you also leave a piece of yourself for the next one to come along and pick up where you left off. so always leave a positive piece of your essence to shape the next in line.

And, Thanks Paint, Im glad Im not the only one who talks to their work.......
OMG am I the only one who doesn't do this? I LOVE it

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
Paul you could have a second job as a writer, that was so eloquently written. I think this is the approach of a true artist, being aware that everything has an original purpose and value. That everything has an energetic signature if not a consciousness, a memory. Restoring beauty gives a small amount of control in a world full of chaos. I can't wait to see it finished. I hope you will share pictures here.

• Love it
Reactions: Selectric and Paulm