When is Perfect Not Good Enough

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
New Tesla earns perfect score from Consumer Reports

Tesla P85D.jpg

The Tesla P85D cornering hard on Consumer Reports test track in Connecticut.

(excerpts and photo from CNN)
Tesla's new Model S P85D is so good it broke Consumer Reports' scoring system.

Consumer Reports rates vehicles on a zero-to-100 scale, but Tesla's high-performance, all-wheel-drive car scored 103.
"Consumer Reports had to make changes to its scoring methodology to account for the car's exceptionally strong performance," the magazine said in a statement.
To bring the score back in line, the P85D was given less credit for areas in which the Model S already beat other cars but, in this version, simply exceeded on those measures even more.
For instance, it was given less credit for improving its acceleration and efficiency which, in other versions of the Model S, already outperformed other cars.
Once those changes were made, the P85D earned the top score of 100, making it the first car ever to earn that score.
. . .
At a total price of $127,820, the Model S P85D wasn't just the highest-scoring car Consumer Reports has ever tested. It was also the most expensive, said Jake Fisher, head of auto testing for Consumer Reports.

full article at http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/27/autos/consumer-reports-tesla-p85d/index.html

----------------------------------
Remember many years ago when the Gymnastics Federation changed it scoring system due to Nadia Comaneci's "perfect 10" ?

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Well stated! No piece of metal and an engine is worth that amount!!!
Technically, if it is an electric car, it has a motor not an engine . . . :p

The price is one I find less than perfect.

Tell me about it, though it's the only way for Telsa to recoup the money poured into Research and Development. Give it a decade or so and I'm sure the price will be significantly dropped to something similar to what the big automakers charge.

It's still a coal powered vehicle:( I like coal, it keeps me warm.:)

Reactions: Debi
Tell me about it, though it's the only way for Telsa to recoup the money poured into Research and Development. Give it a decade or so and I'm sure the price will be significantly dropped to something similar to what the big automakers charge.
Excellent points and well made. I will be 63 in a couple of weeks and cannot count on another decade, therefore my original assessment stands.

I wouldn't pay that much for a car that's nuts but that's just me