WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE GIFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Three Wise Men came bearing gifts. In the spirit of the season, what was your favorite gift and why? Did you receive it or give it?

Best gift received: an RC airplane when I was 12. I had wanted one for years, but my mom was afraid I'd put my eye out with it, or some such nonsense. My first time flying it, I crashed it into the side of the barn. Nothing broken, fortunately, and it provided many hours of pleasure until I discovered girls were more fun.

Best gift given: aside from memories involving my wife or kids, this one reigns over the rest. It was 1980 and I was a smartass 15 year old. One of my sisters-in-law was helping make the family Thanksgiving meal, and she dropped one of those industrial sized cans of whole potatoes on her foot, breaking her big toe. I immediately knew what I was getting her for Christmas that year! The big day finally arrived, and my sis-in-law unwrapped this carefully packed and wrapped heavy box that I had given her, and discovered inside an industrial sized can of whole potatoes! Fortunately, she had a sense of humor about the whole thing and didn't throw it at me! I did run it by my brother beforehand, and there was a real gift as well, although to be honest I have no idea what it was. I remember the can of potatoes, though!

The greatest Christmas' that I've ever experienced were the ones shared with my little girl.
There is nothing more special at Christmas than to see the eyes of a child sparkle with the essence of Christmas magic.

I had some terrific child hood memories of Christmas.
Such as playing with my Han Solo action figure, as Han would hop from limb to limb (searching for Darth Vader) on our Christmas tree. Those (Christmas memories) are probably the greatest and most treasured gift of all.

Although my favorite physical gift that I received would have been the Lone Ranger and Tonto action figure set with horses (back in the late 70's or early 80's).
These figures had actual cloth for clothing if I am not mistaken.
Optimus Prime might be a close second, along with the Voltron diecast.
Too many great gifts....
Oh Lord, I sooo remember Voltron! It was the only thing my middle son wanted for Christmas that year, and it was a replay of finding a Cabbage Patch doll. Every kid wanted one and this mom went to 15 stores to finally snag one. And yes, DM, the lone ranger set had cloth clothing.

Best gift received: an RC airplane when I was 12. I had wanted one for years, but my mom was afraid I'd put my eye out with it, or some such nonsense. My first time flying it, I crashed it into the side of the barn. Nothing broken, fortunately, and it provided many hours of pleasure until I discovered girls were more fun.

Best gift given: aside from memories involving my wife or kids, this one reigns over the rest. It was 1980 and I was a smartass 15 year old. One of my sisters-in-law was helping make the family Thanksgiving meal, and she dropped one of those industrial sized cans of whole potatoes on her foot, breaking her big toe. I immediately knew what I was getting her for Christmas that year! The big day finally arrived, and my sis-in-law unwrapped this carefully packed and wrapped heavy box that I had given her, and discovered inside an industrial sized can of whole potatoes! Fortunately, she had a sense of humor about the whole thing and didn't throw it at me! I did run it by my brother beforehand, and there was a real gift as well, although to be honest I have no idea what it was. I remember the can of potatoes, though!
My hubs has built 5 RC planes....the big ones! I remember the first one he flew....lasted 30 seconds in the air and he crashed it all over the runway. The other 4 he built for fun and sold. We live near Camp Atterbury and they actually have a full size RC runway for the RC crowd. We still go and watch their annual fly-in.
And I loved the canned potato story! Those are the kind of gifts that make memories and smiles!

My favorite gift received was my Kindle last year. Didn't even know I wanted one until my son gave it to me. I can Skype with the grandkids now. And who knew I'd become addicted to Angry Birds!
Favorite gift given was to my hubs. He is a plane fanatic, and always wanted to go up in a WWII era plane. I bought him a ride in one where he got to play fighter pilot with another plane. The pilot gave him extra air time and by the time he came down from barrel rolls, etc., he was semi-green but had a huge grin on his face. They made a video of the flight and he loves to relive the whole thing.

@Debi
I never had another RC plane after that one. I did keep it for a long time, though, and still flew it occasionally throughout my teens. The last time I saw it, it was in the loft of my parent's barn with a nice coating of dust on it, but that was years ago. No idea what ever happened to it.

Nice gift to the hubby! I love the planes from the WWII era, and used to soak in the tales my dad told me about them. I've never been up in one, but they are certainly works of art.

Reactions: Debi
I always wanted a Mr. Potato Head toy as a child, but never got one. It might have helped if I had told my parents that I wanted one, but anyway. As an adult in grad school, my then boyfriend got me one and to this day, it is the only present that sticks out in my head as something that I wanted for Christmas that I got.

Geez, Nekki. I'm not sure if that's a sad story or a good one? *ready to go to mailbox and mail you a new Mr. Potato Head!*

Status
Not open for further replies.