What are you bringing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
In keeping with the lighter tone struck by Nekki re: Betty or Veronica, today's topic is inspired by the recent pot lucks we've hosted. So here it is, without extended preamble: You've been invited to a pot luck at someone's house. You really want to make a good impression with your dish, so what do you make? What's the one thing you can whip up that's sure to have everyone trailing behind asking for your recipe?

I think I'd go with a sopapilla cheesecake. The recipe came from my mother-in-law, but I have no idea where she got it. It never fails to be a hit, though.

Oh dear...whenever we do food threads I end up hungry all day. :rolleyes:

I think I would have to offer up my crockpot enchilada. I got the original recipe from Allrecipes.com and then tweeked it to make it even better. Only takes an hour in the crockpot and it can hold on warm for a few hours. Prep takes about 15 minutes. There's usually a fight over who gets the last of it around here. Hubs and son usually stand there with their forks raised like two sword fighters ready for a duel!

So, we doing recipes here, Surge? Or just making everyone hungry for the day?

I know how to make a killer flan. I can also cook other things, but then it's touch and go. The flan is perfect every time and so easy to make:

6 eggs
sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 can of regular milk (just fill it after you emptied the other can of evaporated milk)

Heat some sugar in a pan on low heat until the sugar starts to caramelize and turn brown. When it's a light brown, pour it into a glass pan that has been warmed. This caramelized sugar will be the caramel syrup after the flan is cooked. Then blend the eggs and all the milks in a blender. Pour into the caramelized glass pan AFTER the caramel has cooled so it doesn't mix with the egg and milk mixture. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and voila! Let the flan cool completely then turn it over into a large plate. The caramel syrup will be brown on top of the flan and will flow into the plate surrounding the flan. Good stuff.

Reactions: surge and Debi
So, we doing recipes here, Surge? Or just making everyone hungry for the day?
By all means, recipe us!
cooking-dinner.gif

Here's the recipe for the sopapilla cheesecake. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that my mother-in-law always made her own pastry dough for this. I fudge and use crescent rolls instead, most of the time.

Start by preheating your oven to 350. At the same time, spray a 9x13 baking dish with Pam and set aside on the counter.

Ingredients:
3 8oz blocks cream cheese, left at room temperature until soft
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (Real stuff, not artificial. Better flavor, IMO)
2 cans of supermarket crescent rolls
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla extract until a smooth consistency is achieved.

Open the crescent rolls and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll each can seperately until you have two 9x13 inch rectangles. Place one piece in your prepared baking dish, pressing firmly for a good fit in the bottom.

Spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, distributing as evenly as possible. Cover with the second piece of crescent roll dough.

In a bowl, mix 3/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Spoon over the top of the cheesecake.

Bake until the dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 30 minutes depending on your oven You know it better than I do. :D

When done, remove from the oven an allow it to cool. Once cooled, cut into appropriate sizes for the occasion and serve... I usually cut mine into brownie-sized squares. Expect them to disappear rapidly!

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyLinda and Debi
I know how to make a killer flan. I can also cook other things, but then it's touch and go. The flan is perfect every time and so easy to make:

6 eggs
sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 can of regular milk (just fill it after you emptied the other can of evaporated milk)

Heat some sugar in a pan on low heat until the sugar starts to caramelize and turn brown. When it's a light brown, pour it into a glass pan that has been warmed. This caramelized sugar will be the caramel syrup after the flan is cooked. Then blend the eggs and all the milks in a blender. Pour into the caramelized glass pan AFTER the caramel has cooled so it doesn't mix with the egg and milk mixture. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and voila! Let the flan cool completely then turn it over into a large plate. The caramel syrup will be brown on top of the flan and will flow into the plate surrounding the flan. Good stuff.
A project for the weekend! :D

By all means, recipe us!
cooking-dinner.gif

Here's the recipe for the sopapilla cheesecake. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that my mother-in-law always made her own pastry dough for this.
I love easy recipes!

Crockpot enchiladas

12 corn tortillas
3 cups hand crushed Fritos (just crush them in your hand until you get 3 cups worth..You want it chunky)
1 pound hamburger
1 packet taco seasoning
12 oz. salsa
1 can each cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup (10 oz versions)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups Mexican cheese blend

Brown hamburger, drain, add taco seasoning mix with 1 cup water and simmer for a minute.
Combine salsa, both soups, beans and 2 cups Mexican cheese in bowl.
Put 3 corn tortillas on bottom of crockpot, layer with 1/3 of hamb. mixture. Next layer 1/3 of soup mixture, sprinkle with 3/4 cup fritos. Repeat another 2 times. Final top layer is 3 tortillas topped with remaining Fritos topped with 1 cup cheese. Turn crockpot on high for 1 hour. Serve hot with sour cream on the side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.