We had an encounter with a ghost!?

I have already been there many times during the day, both on foot and by bike, nearby there are no walnut trees etc. I also think I have not explained myself adequately, the bridge is in the middle of a stream often dry, with very few shrubs (not fruit) scattered here and there. The small woods surround only the road leading to the bridge, but not the bridge, it is also at least 10 meters high so rodents would hardly climb just to eat nuts and make that noise.
This paints a more clear picture of your surroundings! Please let us know if you learn anything more.

Hi, I wanted to use this little part to introduce myself, (since I'm new) and then start with the actual story. My name is Diego and I am an 18-year-old Italian boy who has always loved folklore and the paranormal, for example I am very interested in the Sidhe also called little people so maybe I will make another post.
Now I'm going to start with the real story.
It is already about 1 week that my friends and I go around fields and woods at night, both for the thrill that to do something different from the usual and maybe even find something paranormal. At first we prepared ourselves mentally, getting used to the dark, the various noises and things that the brain makes you see, playing tricks on you in the dark. We got used to walking through fields in the dark, since they are wider places are less scary, and then move on to some small walks through the woods. One evening returning from one of these walks we lay down watching the stars in the middle of the road of this bridge. This bridge is in the middle of a stream that is often dry, only when it rains there is water, and is used only as a cycle path, cars can not pass while the road, both before and after the bridge from which you pass is bordered on both sides by a small grove, nothing special and will be about 15 meters high. It was about half past 10 at night, maybe 11 o'clock. We had already been lying down for about 5 minutes and a friend of mine kept the music at low volume, after a while A metallic noise was heard, coming from the railing of our right, as if someone had thrown a stone on this railing. We thought that someone hidden under the bridge wanted to make a bad joke, but we should have heard the footsteps coming from the trampled stones, given the fact that it was dry, we also tried to see if there was someone but nothing. The sound could not even come from the temperature range, the temperature even at night was already constant for a few hours, also I think it would have been felt in other points of the railings of the bridge. At the moment we decide to leave, without asking too many questions but the next day we come back, always in the evening and always around the same time, all our theories mentioned before did not make sense and a bit as a joke a little seriously we think that it is really some ghost. I take it a little more seriously than my friend, so I decide to take it a crucifix small hanging around the neck. Practically as soon as I arrived (always around the same time when the incident occurred) I immediately start asking questions, as well as my friends. For example, if we bothered to throw a stone (as we think happened the previous day) then even if the music bothered and other questions. Nothing seemed to happen except perhaps a noise of stone thrown against other stones, to my question "if we bother throw a stone", but of this we are not sure, It could also be an animal. after the various unanswered questions, (except MAYBE the one mentioned before) we were losing hope and a friend of mine jokingly decides to put ghostbusters at full volume, as soon as the refrain starts the railing in front of us makes the exact same sound of the previous night. I admit that I was very scared at the time, like my friends, but also that we were shocked, we stay a little bit and then we decide to leave, without running or anything, just leave. While there we went along the road in the dark, illuminated only thanks to our torches, I was struck by several chills as if something was wrong, and even another friend admitted that during the journey he felt quite restless, but perhaps we think it was all the fault of the suggestion. As already mentioned before it is practically impossible that if someone who plays tricks on you, you would have heard some noise. It was no animal, animals do not produce these types of noise, not do we think it is the temperature range. So what do you think it could be? Do you have ideas and maybe even advice on what to do about what we think is some entity? Or is it something we may not have thought of? Thank you in advance for your answers and attention and I apologize for the English but I used a translator, as I am not very good with English.
Welcome! Glad youre here!

I have already been there many times during the day, both on foot and by bike, nearby there are no walnut trees etc. I also think I have not explained myself adequately, the bridge is in the middle of a stream often dry, with very few shrubs (not fruit) scattered here and there. The small woods surround only the road leading to the bridge, but not the bridge, it is also at least 10 meters high so rodents would hardly climb just to eat nuts and make that noise.
You said you thought "it could also be an animal" in your initial post, I was working from that statement. You seem now to not think that's a possibility.

Very astute of you to consider the phenomenon of thermal expansion of the metal rail. You apparently ruled that out due to "the temperature even at night was already constant for a few hours." Ambient temperature alone is not the only thermal related element that needs to be considered, however. There is also the effect of transfer of radiant heat (in this case solar radiation or sunlight) hitting the rail. Since you said it the bridge stands alone (not in shade), it could have expanded during daylight hours, then contracted when the sun is going/has gone down. How likely that is is a function of several variables relative to the rail (material, shape, color, etc.) and the weather/cloud cover on any given day.

What do you know about the history of the area where the bridge located? For example, any fighting in the area during WW2?

Welcome Sera. You have already been given some good advice. The only thing I would add is to see if you can recreate the same noise by either throwing some rocks or hitting different parts of the metal with a hand or stick. That could help figure out what kind of activity could cause such a noise and what can't.

Also, I like your choice of user image.
I have already tried to hit in different points and in different ways such as beatings and blows, but the sound is not at all similar to that heard

thank you for the compliment of the image

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
You said you thought "it could also be an animal" in your initial post, I was working from that statement. You seem now to not think that's a possibility.

Very astute of you to consider the phenomenon of thermal expansion of the metal rail. You apparently ruled that out due to "the temperature even at night was already constant for a few hours." Ambient temperature alone is not the only thermal related element that needs to be considered, however. There is also the effect of transfer of radiant heat (in this case solar radiation or sunlight) hitting the rail. Since you said it the bridge stands alone (not in shade), it could have expanded during daylight hours, then contracted when the sun is going/has gone down. How likely that is is a function of several variables relative to the rail (material, shape, color, etc.) and the weather/cloud cover on any given day.

What do you know about the history of the area where the bridge located? For example, any fighting in the area during WW2?
Yes, you got it right, the bridge has no places of shadow. Actually I had not thought about the effect of radiant heat transfer, but it seems strange to me that this condition always manifests itself only in the same place. I did various searches, but I did not find anything about battles or anything. But I'm sure that there was a case of suicide, to witness this, there was a tag to remember it, but it was removed

Reactions: Paintman
Yes, you got it right, the bridge has no places of shadow. Actually I had not thought about the effect of radiant heat transfer, but it seems strange to me that this condition always manifests itself only in the same place. I did various searches, but I did not find anything about battles or anything. But I'm sure that there was a case of suicide, to witness this, there was a tag to remember it, but it was removed
If the sound you hear is affected by thermal expansion caused by direct solar impingement, I would expect it to happen in the same place every time. The expansion is going to occur where the rail is at it's most vulnerable due to localized lower density caused by erosion, impurities in the metal, damage, etc. A possible, although probably not a highly likely, source for the noise you hear.

Reactions: Lynne
If the sound you hear is affected by thermal expansion caused by direct solar impingement, I would expect it to happen in the same place every time. The expansion is going to occur where the rail is at it's most vulnerable due to localized lower density caused by erosion, impurities in the metal, damage, etc. A possible, although probably not a highly likely, source for the noise you hear.
brilliant Duke