War Movies

The Dawn Patrol (1938, B&W)

An absolute star-studded cast, Basil Wrathbone, Errol Flynn, and David Niven star as English WWI flyers in France.

Even though WW2 films are a favorite of my generation, I burned-out on them back in the 70's and detest violence in films anyway, even if it's historical. The earlier films imply the violence, and rely on acting to impress the mood on the audience. Better actors in those days, as well. Even so, war movies are generally eschewed in my house anyway. Too many happy things to watch instead.

I loved Band of Brothers, too. I had forgotten until you mentioned it, Steve! It was a really great depiction of war.

I never served in battle, but did basic training, so I know what you mean about insignia, rank, etc. being wrongly depicted by Hollywood.

I loved Band of Brothers, too. I had forgotten until you mentioned it, Steve! It was a really great depiction of war.

I never served in battle, but did basic training, so I know what you mean about insignia, rank, etc. being wrongly depicted by Hollywood.
It's also very noticeable when movie character service members' hair is out of regulation. Salutes are often rendered improperly as well.

Years ago a young USAF captain who worked for me and I were at a joint forces base. As we were walking from our car to the building we were going to, a USMC gunnery sergeant approached us. His crisp salute was an absolute thing of beauty, and he sounded off with an equally impressive "Good morning, SIR." The captain was so impressed he actually stopped the NCO and told him this was the finest example of military courtesy he'd ever seen. The gunny looked confused, but thanked him, then snapped off another saluted. I remember thinking if the captain doesn't keep his mouth shut, we're going to be here all morning.