Vanity/Personalized License Plates

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Do you have personalized license plates on your vehicle? If so, please tell us about them. Do you notice the personalized plates of others? What's the funniest or most noteworthy plates you've seen?

Don't have one myself and don't envision myself ever even wanting one but I have seen some that stand out in my memory.

My best friend in highschool had a personalized plate that was a phonetic misspelling of his last name. It wasn't his idea, for some reason his dad had personalized plates on every car he ever bought that was some variation of his last name.

Driving along the 405 freeway in California we saw a license plate that was 009MM and we couldn't figure out what it was supposed to mean. Then my dad's friend started laughing because he looked at the actual car and saw it was a Chevy Beretta. The plate was alluding to the 9mm Beretta pistol.

In Tennessee the manager of the local Enterprise Rent-a-Car had a personalized plate that read NCC 1701. Which is the designation of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek.

I can't bring myself to do it, though have thought about it. For years I snapped cell phone shots of "vanity plates" and amassed quite a pic collection, lol. Some of them made me scratch my head and wonder why the person wasted sixty bucks on an undecipherable string of letters, lol. It must mean something to them.

ECTO-1 comes to mind, I'd pay it for that plate lol.

One of the best I've ever seen was on a VW Beetle in college: GROK

I do pay attention to personalized plates and try to figure them out. Sometimes I take a photo if we are stopped at a light. My red two-seater plates read " PNF ROX " . I pay ten or twenty bucks a year for the plates. In Virginia we pay a one time fee for the background image and a yearly fee for personalized letter/numbers. If enough people sign up for a specific background ( the Penn State Nittany Lion comes to mind) Virginia DMV will make the plate. We have many state college backgrounds.

Reactions: ozentity and Paulm
I have personalized plates, it's the name of a old UK rock band most people in the US don't know. I enjoy making up explanations on the fly wherever someone asks me what the plate means. The one time a stranger asked me and I gave the real answer, I don't think he believed me.

The state of Ohio has a website where you can enter what you want your plates to say, then it will display that plate. The DMV went to a great deal of trouble to predict the vulgar/offensive/inappropriate words someone might try to have made, but they obviously couldn't predict the clever variations used in spelling those words. The site will display them, but it's doubtful they would get by the crack staff at the local DVM.

As we were driving a few years ago, Mrs Duke began uttering nonsense words. When I asked what she doing, she replied she was trying to figure out what the personalized plate ahead of us meant. When I saw the plate, I actually laughed out loud. I finally explained the "word" she was trying to read was the owner's amateur radio call sign, a jumbled series of letters and numbers, something like KC8BMK.

Well, I know BLODWYN PIG won't fit on a plate, nor ATOMIC ROOSTER, so I give up, Duke. What band?