Uh...Thanks but no thanks.....

This wasn't a re gifting story, but I wanted to share it anyway. One year I was feeling really down, almost like giving up. I had moved into a strange city and didn't really have friends or family nearby. A volunteer at a woman's shelter used to invite me to call her (she was on the very late night shift) and she would talk to me. So it was near the holidays, and I was alone, and feeling very blue. She encouraged me to list all the things I would buy for myself for Christmas if I had the funds.

When she saw how down I was, she asked me if I was at all curious about a Christmas surprise she had planned for me. It was hard to care at the moment, but my curiousity was aroused. On Christmas day, a volunteer showed up at my door with a huge box. In it was everything I had mentioned! Nothing really expensive, but there was a large crock pot, which I still use, and I always think of her when I use it. She knew that by getting me to be interested about my surprise, it would lift me out of the blues, and it did.

This wasn't a re gifting story, but I wanted to share it anyway. One year I was feeling really down, almost like giving up. I had moved into a strange city and didn't really have friends or family nearby. A volunteer at a woman's shelter used to invite me to call her (she was on the very late night shift) and she would talk to me. So it was near the holidays, and I was alone, and feeling very blue. She encouraged me to list all the things I would buy for myself for Christmas if I had the funds.

When she saw how down I was, she asked me if I was at all curious about a Christmas surprise she had planned for me. It was hard to care at the moment, but my curiousity was aroused. On Christmas day, a volunteer showed up at my door with a huge box. In it was everything I had mentioned! Nothing really expensive, but there was a large crock pot, which I still use, and I always think of her when I use it. She knew that by getting me to be interested about my surprise, it would lift me out of the blues, and it did.
That is so wonderful. People like that are what I call golden people. They appear like angels at the right moments. I think it teaches us all to try to be someone’s help in a time of need.

Beautiful story, Garnet. Reminds us all to reach out to others.

With Christmas gift giving/receiving season nearly upon us, have you ever "regifted" a present you received? If so, what was it? Did the person who gave you the gift find out you forwarded it on to someone else?
I get a box of mail-ordered, heavily preserved and (fake) flavored cheeses from one of my relatives every Christmas.
Bleh!
I donate it to the community food box, somewhat guiltily. The givers can’t find out becaause they live far away and never come here.

That is a wonderful story. Wow.

Reactions: garnetsilver
With Christmas gift giving/receiving season nearly upon us, have you ever "regifted" a present you received? If so, what was it? Did the person who gave you the gift find out you forwarded it on to someone else?
No. But My younger brother's birthday is six days before mine, so as older kids he'd give me a birthday card, then I'd cross out the writing, write in it and give it back. He was fine with that for years!

No. But My younger brother's birthday is six days before mine, so as older kids he'd give me a birthday card, then I'd cross out the writing, write in it and give it back. He was fine with that for years!
A fine tradition in my view. For how many years did you use the same card ?

That actually makes no sense! But you've replied to it now, so I'll have to correct it here rather than editing my post! Obviously, as his birthday was first I bought the card and HE rewrote it! The swine! That's so like him!
Though I think I may have given him last years card back again at some point...

Wow. Sometimes a little kindness from even the most random person can make a person's day. I loved reading it.

I've never re-gifted, but there are some things I was given that I never really used until later on. We always gave each other 'needful things' as we called them, money or gift cards. As a child, Christmas was all the rave just as it was for other kids. But as an older adult, I just enjoyed heading over to my parent's house and spending time with them. Any day with the fam was great, but Thanksgiving and Christmas, that was something else.