TV Theme Songs

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
What are your favorite all time TV theme songs? Can you recite the lyrics to those that had lyrics? Is there a theme song you absolutely despise?

Theme from the UK series "The Detectorists." Not only is it a beautiful song, but in less than 2 minutes it perfectly embraces the spirit of the series.

Theme from the 80s "Maverick" reboot "Bret Maverick." The singer is Ed Bruce who played the sheriff in the series.

Hated all those cheesy Fairlight synthesizer theme songs from the 80s.

I always liked the theme song for The Greatest American Hero. It's kinda cheesey in that way only the late 70's/early 80's could be but it makes me feel optimistic. It was also a big part of my childhood along with the theme songs from Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider. Of course my favorite from that era is the A-Team, that one is actually the ringtone for my phone.

A bit before my time as I only learned about the show through late night reruns but I also really liked the theme song for Branded. That sense of honor and dignity in the face of injustice was inspiring.

More recently I would point to the theme from Firefly. It's a good song just by itself but it's also perfect at doing what a theme song should do. Tell the viewer what they're about to watch, in this case a space western, but without any clunky exposition that introduces the characters or premise. For as much as I used to love singing along with opening themes like Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch or The Beverly Hillbillies; I don't need to be reminded of the characters names and what the show is about at the start of Every. Single. Episode.