Science Transhumansism recipe for disaster?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/09/is-human-technological-growth-a-recipe-for-future-disaster/

Transhumanism, along with its related concept of technological singularity, are each motifs that have been featured many times in Mysterious Universe articles over the years. In essence, transhumanism involves the notion that humans can “evolve” beyond our current physical limitations, through the likely implementation of technology. On the other hand, technological singularity, while similar, often incorporates advanced nonhuman intelligences apart from humanity into the equation.

Going as far back as 2011, I had written that, “evidence of a technological Singularity expected within next several decades might already be visible,” and suggested that the technological precursors for a sort of “Singularity” may already begin to become evidential in our existing technologies over the next few years.

More recently, I observed recent developments in the field of robotics where engineers have begun designing autonomous systems that are built not only to create robots themselves, but to employ a sort of “natural selection” in order to improve on existing designs just as well. Viewed within the literature pertaining to transhumanism and technological singularity, perhaps here again we see precursors, if only that, to an eventual artificial system which will not only be capable of self-replication, but also intelligent self-improvement to the extent that evolution becomes steerable, in essence.

FULL STORY AT SITE

Transhumanism does not exclude glasses, implants such as pace makers, artificial limbs, and the like. Let us not be too hasty to sweep all technology servicing humans into the waste basket.

Transhumanism does not exclude glasses, implants such as pace makers, artificial limbs, and the like. Let us not be too hasty to sweep all technology servicing humans into the waste basket.
I don't, DoTell. Many medical advances have been made using this tech. I, for one, am currently grateful that insulin pumps are available for someone in my own family, and that pace makers are out there for another I know. My point is there must be an ethical line between downloading someone and the use for life saving devices for HUMAN use. I realize that's one very fine line there, but when we cross over to being totally bionic, I cringe at the thought.

Reactions: Paintman
I don't, DoTell. Many medical advances have been made using this tech. I, for one, am currently grateful that insulin pumps are available for someone in my own family, and that pace makers are out there for another I know. My point is there must be an ethical line between downloading someone and the use for life saving devices for HUMAN use. I realize that's one very fine line there, but when we cross over to being totally bionic, I cringe at the thought.
I've always pondered why man kinds technological advances supersede ethical ones. But outside of a few Godzilla sightings in the 50s -60's, ......................... so far so good. Maybe................ naw, I don't feel good about this. The Six Million Dollar Man was great, Robocop, not much. But, if science can fix diseases we already have, or may have in the future, yes.

Reactions: Debi
My point is there must be an ethical line between downloading someone and the use for life saving devices for HUMAN use. I realize that's one very fine line there, but when we cross over to being totally bionic, I cringe at the thought.
Why do you think we would be doing so forcibly?

Why do you think we would be doing so forcibly?
There comes a point in every society, Doc, where things become an accepted "norm", and when one does not conform to the norm, peer pressure builds and expectations for that conformity abound. That, my dear, is a "force" all it's own.

Reactions: DoTell
There comes a point in every society, Doc, where things become an accepted "norm", and when one does not conform to the norm, peer pressure builds and expectations for that conformity abound. That, my dear, is a "force" all it's own.
Baloney, some of us do make it through school without unwanted pregnancies, smoking and drinking. Peer pressure is never any excuse. Nazi Germany and ISIS teach us better.

Baloney, some of us do make it through school without unwanted pregnancies, smoking and drinking. Peer pressure is never any excuse. Nazi Germany and ISIS teach us better.
I refer to things such as a chip implanted for use to purchase items...everyone starts to get one, uses one, then it becomes the norm and the expectation is we all use one.

I remember the days when using a check was the norm. Now, it is not, and in many places no longer even accepted, DoTell. We are pushed to use our Debit cards. These are the types of "norms" of which I speak. It's a push toward changes....ones we may or may not wish to have in our lives.

Do you frequent establishments which refuse cash?

Actually, there are two here in my town, DoTell, that ask you do not use it. Both are owned by the same family. Also, Great Clips no longer accepts checks. Things change, norms change. Some people call it growth.