Tips on how to view the Great Conjunction on Dec. 21

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I read the article and it states the last one like this was 800 years ago. So I looked at the year 1220 to see what happened. Nothing remarkable if you believe history repeats itself.
Look up March 4, 1226. That was the date of the last one that was a full conjunction and that occurred at night to be seen as the Christmas Star event.

Reactions: Walking Goose
Look up March 4, 1226. That was the date of the last one that was a full conjunction and that occurred at night to be seen as the Christmas Star event.
I looked it up. Not much happened on that date that I can see or the rest of the years . The reason I looked is because many astrologers are putting a lot of stock in this event so I thought Id see if anything extraordinary happened. Nothing I could see . Just the usual stuff as far as I can see. I even looked at 1227 and nothing stood out.

It's something I think only the astrology and astronomy depts. get all excited about...lol They are real, I promise you. The first one actually NOTICED was in the 1600's, so you may see no notations of it before then.

Most great conjunctions are not particularly notable. But occasionally, like this year, Jupiter and Saturn cross paths so close to each other that they can be barely distinguishable to the naked eye. Or sometimes the two planets cross paths when they are opposite the sun, so their apparent retrograde motion results in a triple conjunction, as was the case in 7 BCE.

In 1604, while he was working in Prague, Kepler observed the tight arrangement of three planets — Mars, Saturn and Jupiter — and a bright new star, a supernova, that would slowly fade over the course of a year. This occurrence inspired him to consider a similar set of events that might have led the wise men to Bethlehem in time for Jesus Christ’s birth.

Knowing that Herod the Great had died in 4 BCE, he placed the birth of Christ before that date. And using his knowledge of planetary motion, he found that Jupiter and Saturn underwent a triple conjunction in 7 BCE, that conjunctions of Mars with each planet in 6 BCE were shortly followed by conjunctions of the planets with the sun. Kepler suggested that these solar conjunctions aligned with the Immaculate Conception and that the wise men arrived the following year to witness Christ’s birth beneath the Star of Bethlehem.

• Love it
Reactions: WitchAndShaman
I'm no Fox News fan, but after following live feeds from NASA and a dozen other sites - I am amazed and thrilled that this video is so clear! 'sigh' How awesomely beautiful.

CHRISTMAS STAR: Jupiter And Saturn Form 'Great Conjunction', Closest In 800 Years | NewsNOW from FOX

I'm no Fox News fan, but after following live feeds from NASA and a dozen other sites - I am amazed and thrilled that this video is so clear! 'sigh' How awesomely beautiful.

CHRISTMAS STAR: Jupiter And Saturn Form 'Great Conjunction', Closest In 800 Years | NewsNOW from FOX

That's what I saw with unaided eyes, only Saturn was not nearly as clear or bright as in the video. Jupiter was not as bright as the video either.

Reactions: Donna K.
Okay, I was able to see it clearly tonight. I looked at 5:40 like the local news said to do and didn’t see diddly squattles. 45 minutes later when it was dark, bingo. I was very surprised to find the plants so high up in the sky.

I ran into the house and told my GF to go take a look. She was being especially grumpy this evening and challenged me with, “Why should I go look?”

And, conjunction challenge met - I responded with, “Well, it’s been 800 years since your demonic soul crept out from the soil and last spotted this planetary event. It just seems reasonable to think you might want to see it again through the eyes of the human host you haunt.”

Boom chakalaka!

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi