Things to rule out in Hauntings

Yes, poorly hung doors that allow drafts, electrical faults, old pipes that rattle, aging foundations, nesting varmints, are all things to look for before considering ghosts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Selectric and Lynne
Hi Lynne, I note you took exception to me mentioning homeless people living in the walls of other people's houses. And fair enough, on one level. Let me explain. I didn't mention it to denigrate the homeless, with whom I sympathize. I myself have effectively been homeless (albeit a richer kind of homeless), when I was on the move as a translator. Nevertheless I have "slept rough" on many occasions when bookings have fallen thru. I also devoted time and money to a rehousing the homeless project in Boston before Covid. I get the problem, and the stigma that homeless people suffer... There but for the Grace of God went I...

On the other hand, the sense I meant it was that there has been a genuine but rare issue with people secretly moving into other people's houses undetected, and living in their walls, attics, basements, and crawl spaces. My comment was meant as dark comedy referencing this disturbing phenomenon.

Link: People who secretly lived in other people's houses

Link: 10 Intruders found living in other people's houses.

(by way of explanation so you don't mistake me for a complete heel)

Reactions: Lynne and Selectric
Hi Lynne, I note you took exception to me mentioning homeless people living in the walls of other people's houses. And fair enough, on one level. Let me explain. I didn't mention it to denigrate the homeless, with whom I sympathize. I myself have effectively been homeless (albeit a richer kind of homeless), when I was on the move as a translator. Nevertheless I have "slept rough" on many occasions when bookings have fallen thru. I also devoted time and money to a rehousing the homeless project in Boston before Covid. I get the problem, and the stigma that homeless people suffer... There but for the Grace of God went I...

On the other hand, the sense I meant it was that there has been a genuine but rare issue with people secretly moving into other people's houses undetected, and living in their walls, attics, basements, and crawl spaces. My comment was meant as dark comedy referencing this disturbing phenomenon.

The very old house we used to drive past in a quite strange and definitely haunted area certainly had homeless living in it. Three story house, though dilapitated, offered shelter. People would see 'lights' in the third floor dormers which were probably them trying to keep warm. Eventually the house did burn to the ground and there were no statements anyone was inside when it blazed. So that's a plus.

Reactions: Alchopwn

No worries Al, I don't remember my comment, I hope I didn't offend you.

Reactions: Alchopwn