The TV

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
How big is your TV? How many do you have? What do you remember about your childhood TV's? Were you the antennae and remote?

41651263_2343459415716110_7816766712656691200_n.png

Reactions: Paintman
I have a 32" TV that is mostly used as a monitor as I don't watch live TV. As a kid we only had two channels and yep I used to move the indoor aerial around to get rid of the noise. I lived close to Glasgow airport so every time a plane went over the house (two minutes), the signal would go but the noise of the jets drowned out any sound anyway and would often crack windows. Remote? I pushed one of the two buttons to change channel.

The tv growing up was a 14” CRT. Push pull power. No remote. Last tv was a 40” HD TV for my pc.

Reactions: Lynne
I grew up with the basic Suburban 19 inch. A Zenith or a Panasonic. Today I have a 32 inch flat screen that I watch my stories on. No cable. I really do need to get a new one. It's developing vertical lines, and my remote is broken. But you don't need sophisticated equipment to enjoy Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley.

Reactions: Lynne
The one I have now is a 43”. In my younger days we had a 14” B&W, then a couple of 21”. Before my current TV I used a PC monitor with VGA box or TV tuner to connect my consoles.

I will confess we have a 55" in the bedroom. We spend most of our time there, as hubs is most comfy there and the dogs have bed space. Our son has his own TV in his bedroom. Ours is on pretty much all day, although I pay little attention to it.

When I was a kid, I was a great remote control! lol And I could adjust the tinfoil on the antennae very nicely! If memory serves me, we could pick up the major stations in Chicago....5, 7, 9 and 11. I think there was a channel 2 at one point. Paintman will have to help me on that one.

Last edited:
The first TV I remember as a kid was a 1950s model Magnavox 21" model. We received three channels. In the mid-1970s we got a color 25 inch model, and by that time an independent station was on the airwaves and we got four channels. That channel, KBSI, in Cape Girardeau, MO., is where I first saw many of the sci-fi and monster movies, that we've seen on movie night. Here in WV, I have a 43" flatscreen. Back home, a few 50 inch ones.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I grew up with the basic Suburban 19 inch. A Zenith or a Panasonic. Today I have a 32 inch flat screen that I watch my stories on. No cable. I really do need to get a new one. It's developing vertical lines, and my remote is broken. But you don't need sophisticated equipment to enjoy Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley.
Oh Paint if I didn’t know you were a big manly man , I’d think you were a little old lady :p

Growing up we had the old black and white cabinet style tv. We got the three main stations (ABC,NBC,CBS). We got the Canadian Chanel 9 with the rabbit ears. I remember our first colored tv at about age 12. I turned it on and the cartoon “The Flintsrones” was on. It was so amazing I still remember it.

Reactions: ghostkind