The Rainbow Body of Tibetan Buddhism

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Consciousness Unbound: The Rainbow Body of Tibetan Buddhism

The Rainbow Body of Tibetan Buddhism

To students of nature’s extraordinary phenomena, the rainbow body of Tibetan Buddhism is very intriguing. We underestimate the marvels of the human body. I was blown away watching the world’s greatest gymnast, Simone Biles leap and somersault through space with a grace beyond anything I’ve ever seen. And there are stranger phenomena, all pushing against the known limits of the possible.

For example, well documented cases of so-called inediacs—folks that really go on diets! They quit eating, drinking, and eliminating—totally—for long periods, in some cases, for years. Then there are the aboriginal clever men, the shamans, the mediums, and the mystics whose methods of bodily transportation are unusual: bilocation, for example; the Tibetan fast runners; apports and teleportation; the ecstatic levitations of Catholic and Buddhist saints; the reports of luminous, supernaturally fragrant, and fire-immune bodies.

Bodies sometimes behave in strange ways in the neighborhood of death and dying. There is one extreme phenomenon well documented by Joan Carroll Cruz in her book The Incorruptibles, which collects cases showing that the dead bodies of some saintly people do not show the standard signs of decay, ill odor, or rigor mortis.

The rainbow body of Tibetan Buddhism is something else. The reports here are about effects that seem the opposite of what happens to Christians. Instead of the dead body remaining fresh, fragrant, and flexible, insisting on the appearance of life, the dead body begins to shrink and get small and then disappears without a trace.

The phenomenon has been studied first hand in a fascinating book by Francis V. Tiso called Rainbow Body and Resurrection (2016). Tiso learned Tibetan and tracked living witnesses of a recent case of the Lama Khenpo A Chö who died in 1998. Tiso provides a translation of a brief biography of this Buddhist holy man who taught and practiced meditation almost incessantly with the one goal of immersing himself in the void of “primordial awareness.”

Tiso was able to interview four witnesses of the death of Khenpo and of the contraction and disappearance of his corpse. As customary the body was covered with a yellow sheet and placed in a box for one week, after which it was supposed to be cremated. Let me summarize what the four witnesses reported who were present and conducted the burial. Many monks and lay people where he died also witnessed some of the more spectacular phenomena.

Khenpo died with his rosary in hand as he recited his mantra. “Immediately after that all the appearance of bodily aging (he was 82) such as wrinkles, shriveling, etc., instantly disappeared. His face became youthful—smooth and pinkish” (p.36). The fragrance normally detected about Khenpo suddenly increased. All the people nearby making prostrations noticed what Christians call the odor of sanctity. “Above is house,” again from an eyewitness, “five colorful rainbows appeared for many days. Sometimes they pervaded the whole expanse of the sky, as was directly witnessed by all the monks and lay people of Lurap.” Toward sundown of that first day a sunlike light appeared in the east, “and was seen by all of us.” In addition to the rainbows, “after three or four days, they heard a very melodious song” but no source of the music was found.

Tiso asks all four witnesses about the shrinking and disappearance of the body. The answer: “The body was shriveling. It was becoming smaller and smaller. On the spot, it disappeared.” It was turning whiter and whiter. The complete disappearance was established by observation on the eighth day. By that time the body had completely dematerialized. All that remained were rainbows, mysterious music without words, and a fragrant presence. All that remained was the yellow cloth that covered his body. Not a hair or a nail clipping of the man remained. Such is the case of the Tibetan rainbow body at death.

How to account for the difference between the Catholic phenomenon of the incorruptible body and the Tibetan Buddhist phenomenon of the rainbow body? I would suggest the cause of the difference lies in the different philosophies. The one tradition celebrates a vision of a glorious spiritual body in heaven being our fate; the other tradition focuses on the symbol of the void and total detachment from all things finite and particular. Both approaches point perhaps to complementary visions of enlightenment.

One last observation about the politics of enlightenment. While Tiso was interviewing his witnesses he discovered that Sonam Puntsog who wrote the short bio of Khenpo quoted was jailed by authorities. The state apparently was uneasy with the idea that miracle-making human beings like Khenpo actually exist.

Reactions: Paulm and Benway
Miracles do happen. Perhaps they become so holy and in doing so raise their vibrations until they disappear. We are after all just made up of atoms with a lot of empty space within them.

Reactions: Paulm
Very good article, a lot of topics for discussion there. Especially how these abilities or masterings cross many differant cultures and continents.

Reactions: Lynne
Very good article, a lot of topics for discussion there. Especially how these abilities or masterings cross many differant cultures and continents.
Yes perhaps it’s something that is a universal trait in how God made us. Something we all could achieve with the right amount of faith, dedication and effort.

How to account for the difference between the Catholic phenomenon of the incorruptible body and the Tibetan Buddhist phenomenon of the rainbow body? I would suggest the cause of the difference lies in the different philosophies.
So, is it possible that we choose by our beliefs what afterlife we experience? I just heard this same theory on Coast recently.

So, is it possible that we choose by our beliefs what afterlife we experience? I just heard this same theory on Coast recently.
I wish somebody would come back and give us some straight answers. It’s really confusing ! Just when I think I have it figured out, I hear a new possibility. I will just hold onto God and hope it’s all worked out.

ive often wondered how much of a belief system is "manmade" and how much is real, where is that line?...it seems the core, at its most basic level is very similar in many beliefs, but then it gets muddied up when we put our vision of what we want it to be or how we want to see it....to just think we return to the source or just wonder from here to there in another dimension is accepting the unknown, which we as a collective find hard, we want to have an idea of what to expect, and over time with overthinking that "idea" becomes what we find most appealing or comfortable...so we make what we think the afterlife should be....but what if it is just another level of life, only on the spiritual plane, and we do just go on with that form of "living"... I don't know, this is a good question.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Going to share a late night conversation I had with someone. Same premise as above. My friend, coming from a Christian background, used this analogy. Pardon my paraphrasing.

Jesus stated "The way to heaven is through Me." Or the belief in what He says his "heaven" is. He also said, "My Father has many mansions", which my friend went on to say may indicate there are other "places" than heaven to go to. If you wish to join the Jesus heaven, then you follow Him and His beliefs....what we believe is where we go.
The other "mansions" may be the other beliefs and also where you can believe you go.

My friend also stated the "saved" part of the program is saving yourself from the reincarnation wheel, as the Jesus heaven is a permanent residence.

Now, this is just midnight mutterings in the dark so no one take offense but that is what we came up with.

Yes, we were both sober on that one. lol

I've always liked this idea.

Even though he only did it as fiction, Terry Pratchett used this theory in his Discworld series, where characters experience the heaven (or hell) that they invented for themselves. In fact, everything is powered by belief, so gods get more or less powerful based on the amount of people who believe in them.

My favourite example of it is in his book Small Gods.

*Spoilers*

The story centres around an incredibly powerful global church, but it has become consumed by its own traditions and hardline fanaticism, so even though everyone follows it, no one believes in it. Except for the protagonist, who is a kind, simple man who just accepts everything he's told, and never thought to question whether their god is real.

One of the antagonists of the story is the fanatical church leader who is all about punishing heretics and supressing blasphemy. In the end, he's defeated and dies. But because he didn't actually believe in his own god, he doesn't go to Heaven. His afterlife is an empty desert. He stays there for decades, until finally the protagonist dies peacefully in his old age and appears by the church leader's side. He takes the man's hand, and offers to lead him through the desert together.

For an avowed atheist, Pratchett really did have some touching approaches to faith and the afterlife.

Reactions: Debi
I've always liked this idea.

Even though he only did it as fiction, Terry Pratchett used this theory in his Discworld series, where characters experience the heaven (or hell) that they invented for themselves. In fact, everything is powered by belief, so gods get more or less powerful based on the amount of people who believe in them.

My favourite example of it is in his book Small Gods.

*Spoilers*

The story centres around an incredibly powerful global church, but it has become consumed by its own traditions and hardline fanaticism, so even though everyone follows it, no one believes in it. Except for the protagonist, who is a kind, simple man who just accepts everything he's told, and never thought to question whether their god is real.

One of the antagonists of the story is the fanatical church leader who is all about punishing heretics and supressing blasphemy. In the end, he's defeated and dies. But because he didn't actually believe in his own god, he doesn't go to Heaven. His afterlife is an empty desert. He stays there for decades, until finally the protagonist dies peacefully in his old age and appears by the church leader's side. He takes the man's hand, and offers to lead him through the desert together.

For an avowed atheist, Pratchett really did have some touching approaches to faith and the afterlife.
Terry's work did enter into the conversation that night....;)

Reactions: WatcherOfTheNight