The Lawndale Thunderbird Incident

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

This is one of Noory's favorite stories.
I looked up the weight of an average ten you old boy, it's somewhere in the 70-75 pound range. I remember hearing once birds of prey can grab (on the fly) and lift away no more half their body weight. (The percentage is much smaller if the bird has to pick up prey while on the ground and takeoff from a standing start.) The largest birds on Earth are non fliers, ostriches, emus, cassowaries, etc. From what I can tell, few of the largest flying birds of prey come anywhere close to even 100 pounds. That would mean known birds capable of lifting roughly their own weight.

made me think of this video from a few years back

or this one, birds of prey are not to be under-estimated....

Reactions: Duke
Very impressive, at least the first clip. What are the odds of being in just the right place, at just the right time, with the camera equipment to be able shoot something like that? I grew up in farm country, and spent a lot of time in the woods. In all those years, only once have I seen a bird of prey, in this case a hawk, snag prey (ground squirrel) on the fly.

Reactions: Paulm
Very impressive, at least the first clip. What are the odds of being in just the right place, at just the right time, with the camera equipment to be able shoot something like that? I grew up in farm country, and spent a lot of time in the woods. In all those years, only once have I seen a bird of prey, in this case a hawk, snag prey (ground squirrel) on the fly.
ive seen bald eagles snag fish from the lake of the ozarks a few times. and have seen a hawk grab squirrels, we had an owl living on our back area that grabbed a few kittens a few years back, i didnt see it but a neighbor told me that is why all the feral cats went away. i do not let our little dogs out by themselves because of the hawks, owls and turkey vultures that seem to be everywhere now. there were about 6 standing at the end of my drive once, scared my wife....lol

ive seen bald eagles snag fish from the lake of the ozarks a few times. and have seen a hawk grab squirrels, we had an owl living on our back area that grabbed a few kittens a few years back, i didnt see it but a neighbor told me that is why all the feral cats went away. i do not let our little dogs out by themselves because of the hawks, owls and turkey vultures that seem to be everywhere now. there were about 6 standing at the end of my drive once, scared my wife....lol
Yeah, we see turkey vultures here as well, and coyotes are showing up in increasing numbers. My daughter has a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Rottweiler/German Shepherd mix, and she's careful about letting them even with a fenced yard because of the coyotes.

What do you suppose they paid the stunt goats in those videos?

Reactions: Paulm
Yeah, we see turkey vultures here as well, and coyotes are showing up in increasing numbers. My daughter has a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Rottweiler/German Shepherd mix, and she's careful about letting them even with a fenced yard because of the coyotes.

What do you suppose they paid the stunt goats in those videos?
Same here with the coyotes, we get notices regularly to keep a watch out and to watch small animals and children. Though no attacks on ppl, they are very skittish usually and stay away from ppl mostly. We also have rattle snakes, coral snakes and gators. Nature can be vicious, we just have gotten too comfortable and overlook what is beyond our comfort zone. Then When something happens we blame the boogy man or monsters..... Weeding through all that is real is where most ppl get lost.,................ And those goats didn't get paid enough...lol

I think the incident with the 10 year old is real. There were multiple witnesses. What it was is the mystery. I have often thought back to this story to contemplate it. Could it be a giant bird from the past that flew threw a time vortex ?

Paul that kid video is amazing