The Innocents (1961)

Dr Spectre

Reaction score
The story begins with a young governess answering an add by a wealthy Englishman for someone to look after and tutor his adolescent niece and nephew, Flora and Miles who live in an isolated crumbling country mansion with their housekeeper. The young woman is given the job and soon she is journeying by carriage to the mansion.
On arrival at about dusk and with fog moving in she witnesses a man standing and staring down at her from one of the towers of the sprawling mansion. The vision then becomes shrouded in mist. She thinks nothing of this at the time until she asks the housekeeper, a middle aged woman named Mrs Grosse about the man she had seen. "Miss there is no one other than myself and Flora here. Her brother Miles is presently at boarding school and we have no other servants".
Over the next weeks the governess witnesses not only the man again but a young woman too.. on several occasions. Including her weeping in the children's school room on a brisk autumn morning. During this time the nephew has returned unexpectedly from school and appears to the woman to be a strange boy.
This Gothic mystery is my all time favorite creepy flick. I first saw it at boarding school and subsequently at least 10 times since. To this day I still get shivers from several scenes.

Last edited: