The Great Sock Experiment 2020

ROTFLMAO This is so typical. I loved it.

Many years ago my wife was fussing at me for not doing my share in the house. Personally I kept the yard mowed and kept three vehicles running and on the road and handled burning the garbage. But she wanted me to do SOMETHING INSIDE the house. Finally, I asked her what exactly she wanted me to do to make her happy. What did she hate doing the most?. Now I was expecting something BAD like cleaning the toilets or mopping or permanent dishwashing duty. Her most hated chore was washing and drying clothes. She promised that if I would wash, dry, and hang up the hanging clothes that she would fold the little stuff and take care of it and be happy.

This was great!! I put a load in the washer and go watch TV. Move it to the dryer and turn the dryer on and go watch TV. During a couple of movies that were recorded, I could eat popcorn and do the weeks washing. What I HATED most was that my daughter loved to peel off her clothes so they were inside out. I'm sorry but there is just something disturbing about a pair of Rockies (Remember those?) that were inside out and wearing panties! I tried griping but that didn't seem to work so I went to plan B.

Shirts and pants went on the hangers just as they came out of the dryer. She got pants that were inside out and already wearing panties and sometimes t-shirts that were inside out and wearing bras. BOY SHE HATED THAT and slowly magically the pants stopped wearing panties and the pants and shirts slowly turned right side out...except for the Rockies, they were colors and the color didn't fade as fast if you washed and dried them inside out so I would turn those. there was a legitimate reason for it. My wife still doesn't turn her clothes out but you know how it is wives get special privileges. I was just happy when she stopped leaving the panties on the pants.

SOCK EXPERIMENT UPDATE - THE FINALE: 144 HOURS

I KNEW I was busted! Apparently I live with a bunch of comedians. Or VERY bored children.

So all day yesterday...radio silence in my house. I was literally waiting for the sock to pop out at me from somewhere. I opened the fridge half expecting like, the soy sauce to be wearing the sock. Or to see it walking around on my husband's size 13 foot. Which would actually be hilarious, come to think of it.

Anyway, when the sock didn't appear, I started second guessing whether or not they actually knew. And that maybe my final Facebook update was going to end up being, “Hi folks, turns out you are all following some random crazy mom who simply can’t keep tabs on her family’s socks so y’all might want to re-think your life choices.”

BUT THEN IT HAPPENED. I went to bring some laundry into my daughter's room and she and my son were in there talking. And they stopped talking when I walked in. A little TOO quickly.

“What’s up?” I asked. “Nothing,” my son mumbled.

And then I saw it. A tiny, almost imperceptible smirk on the little 11-year-old sock owner’s face that nobody but me, her mother, would have noticed. “GOTCHA!” I thought. But I bit my lip. Because now I knew they WERE plotting.

This morning I woke up to an envelope on the floor where the sock used to live. So of course I picked it up, and in doing so, I inadvertently PICKED UP THE SOCK I SWORE I WOULDN'T TOUCH, which was inside. Making everybody’s prediction that “The mom will end up picking up that sock” technically come true.

Well played, kids, well played - you outpranked the pranker.

Also, I actually WAS correct in assuming they wouldn’t see the post on Facebook...it was Instagram that did me in! My 17-year-old found out and masterminded the kidnapping of our sock (I say "our" sock because I feel like this sock now belongs to this whole group). Clearly, quarantine is making us all crazy.

So that, my friends, concludes our week-long sock saga. I cannot express to you how much I’ve enjoyed you as my co-conspirators and how much I appreciate all of the wonderful comments, most of which were far funnier than anything I could have written.

And to my new followers: A big welcome to all of you, and I hope you stick around for more fun. I often find myself in awkward, embarrassing situations and I have no shame in sharing them with the world if it means putting a smile on someone’s face.

If you'd like to check out some more of my stories, I'll put a link to my website (imightbefunny .com) in the comments of this post. Stay well out there everybody! ❤️

Janene

90861545_891565251292763_5955996479834292224_n.jpg