The Graduate

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I'M DEALING ALL THIS NEXT WEEK WITH A HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION.

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER AS THE BEST PART OF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION? DID YOUR CLASS DO A SENIOR PRANK? WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE GRADUATING THIS YEAR?

graduation%20cap%20and%20tassel.gif

Reactions: Paintman
My advice would be to FORGET about High School going forward, and FOCUS on the future. As Lynne said, "get on with real life." I have seen far too many people obsess about the "glory high school days", and not really accomplish much afterwards.

My advice would be to FORGET about High School going forward, and FOCUS on the future. As Lynne said, "get on with real life." I have seen far too many people obsess about the "glory high school days", and not really accomplish much afterwards.
Agreed. It’s the same thing with clubs like scouts, cadets, JROTC,etc.

In cadets I’ve seen decorated members turn into homeless drug addicts. Because the honour from your youth doesn’t translate to real life.

The learning never stops. This is just the beginning.
Your gifts and talents were given to you for a reason. They are worth far more in the service of others.
I hope that somewhere along the way you will lose. So you learn humility.
I hope that you are betrayed. So you will value friendship.
(And on and on along those lines........)
At every graduation I've been to I have heard a happy face pump-up speech, that was about as fulfilling as a Chinese meal one hour later. Otherwise looking back on the past is cool, as long as you're doing something with it today. My two cents. Below is a link where you can find a link to a real barn burner.
A 2005 address championing the liberal arts might be the best graduation speech of all time

Last edited:
The learning never stops. This is just the beginning.
Your gifts and talents were given to you for a reason. They are worth far more in the service of others.
I hope that somewhere along the way you will lose. So you learn humility.
I hope that you are betrayed. So you will value friendship.
(And on and on along those lines........)
At every graduation I've been to I have heard a happy face pump-up speech, that was about as fulfilling as a Chinese meal one hour later. Otherwise looking back on the past is cool, as long as you're doing something with it today. My two cents. Below is a link where you can find a link to a real barn burner.
A 2005 address championing the liberal arts might be the best graduation speech of all time
WELL STATED PAINTMAN !!

Reactions: Paintman
Don't rush,....this is just the beginning, the next 5 - 8 years is about finding yourself.
Live life, experience as much as possible, go to the beach, swim in the carribean, fly on a plane, jump out of a plane, find adventure, paint a picture, love with all that's in you, help others, stand for your beliefs, and be kind always.....
When you fail, fail with all you have, when you succeed, be humble and thankful, when you make mistakes, own them and change the path youre on, don't pass the blame or blame others for your mistakes or wrong choices.
Find your path to follow and become the person you were meant to be......who deep down you have always known you were....
Be strong but be kind. And always be real.

I tell you this. If he doesn't go to college he will make much less than he will. Also in the factory world (or blue collar), it is a constant fight to get promoted no matter what you know. Someone is always looking to mess your day up when they think they can, even get you fired just for the simple joy of having something to talk about (Drama) Make sure he goes to college because no matter who you are you have to work somewhere.

Maybe this thread should be called stuff you learned. Paulm nice job.
This leads me to a story. And for once a story to a point. I once knew an old Jewish psychology professor. He said "I am a very old man now and what I thought I knew I didn't, and I just don't know anymore."
That sounds on the surface like a man throwing in the towel. What I heard at that time, and what I learned through life's little & big beatings, are two opposite things.

Reactions: Paulm and Debi