The Concept of Time Travel

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Where Does the Concept of Time Travel Come From? | Live Science

Where Does the Concept of Time Travel Come From?

The dream of traveling through time is both ancient and universal. But where did humanity's fascination with time travel begin, and why is the idea so appealing?

The concept of time travel — moving through time the way we move through three-dimensional space — may in fact be hardwired into our perception of time. Linguists have recognized that we are essentially incapable of talking about temporal matters without referencing spatial ones. "In language — any language — no two domains are more intimately linked than space and time," wrote Israeli linguist Guy Deutscher in his 2005 book "The Unfolding of Language." "Even if we are not always aware of it, we invariably speak of time in terms of space, and this reflects the fact that we think of time in terms of space."

Full story at site for those of you who love the topic!

Makes se
Where Does the Concept of Time Travel Come From? | Live Science

Where Does the Concept of Time Travel Come From?

The dream of traveling through time is both ancient and universal. But where did humanity's fascination with time travel begin, and why is the idea so appealing?

The concept of time travel — moving through time the way we move through three-dimensional space — may in fact be hardwired into our perception of time. Linguists have recognized that we are essentially incapable of talking about temporal matters without referencing spatial ones. "In language — any language — no two domains are more intimately linked than space and time," wrote Israeli linguist Guy Deutscher in his 2005 book "The Unfolding of Language." "Even if we are not always aware of it, we invariably speak of time in terms of space, and this reflects the fact that we think of time in terms of space."

Full story at site for those of you who love the topic!

Makes sense as we often speak about “forward” and “backwards” in time.

However, I believe that “future” and “past”, which are very likely more common in English speech than those prior two terms, don’t seem to have a spatial reference like definition.

People deal with nearly everything by relating it to something familiar. The fact is that there is no way to actually discuss or talk about something that is unlike ANYTHING and make any sense of it. I have often thought that a part of our brain is designed to erase anything that is seen, heard or experienced that it too for from its programmed reality.

When we think of time most people tend to imagine it sort of like a film that is running in a linear fashion across our awareness. It is more likely to be an expanding sphere that is moving in all directions at the same "time". Our consciousness is on the periphery at one point. All the other possible points on this expanding sphere are all of the other possibilities and are different.

In order to move back in time, we would need to figure out what exactly is different between "now" and "then". If the difference is in some sort of energy level then by adjusting our level to that of a different time we might be able to move to that time. The surface of the sphere of time, as it expands it grows in larger. As such the amount of energy on each point on the surface is shrinking as it expands. The original point, "In the beginning" offered a specific amount of energy and that energy as it expanded offered a comparative point of reference that we perceive and experiance as time.

We are a part of that energy as is everything. We also are expanding. That part of me that is specificly me was created in that first instant as were we all. we skitter across the surface of time living over and over in time but not necessarily in the order than our material bodies perceive. Now I am today, tomorrow I may be yesterday and then tomorrow. Occasionally there is an "overlap" and I remember something... sometimes from yesterday and sometimes from tomorrow...Time is perhaps just a point of view...

I have often thought that a part of our brain is designed to erase anything that is seen, heard or experienced that it too for from its programmed reality.

Well that explains how all the memories of paranormal occurrences disappear...

Reactions: Lynne
Linguists have recognized that we are essentially incapable of talking about temporal matters without referencing spatial ones.

I disagree. I think the time primitives are before and after. These have absolutely no spatial connotation. Without these primitives, our brains would not be able to organize the sequence of continual state changes that represent the physical universe. We would literally not be able to tell if we, or that train, were coming or going.

Makes sense as we often speak about “forward” and “backwards” in time.

However, I believe that “future” and “past”, which are very likely more common in English speech than those prior two terms, don’t seem to have a spatial reference like definition.

Yes! Past and future seem like synonyms for before and after.

Last edited:
One of the problems with our minds is that there is a limitation on our ability to think of something in a coherent and detailed fashion without having the language to deal with it. I learned when I was young that before I would apply for a job I would take the time to learn at least part of the language of that profession. LOL, I once got a job because I could answer the question "What is a street L". It is a plumbing word and if you don't speak plumber you will be nearly useless to one on a job site. They say that the Inuits have 40 or 50 words for the different kinds of snow. They need this in order to give directions and describe the world that they live in.

In order to even be able to think about time you will need to create a new language just to deal with the possible permutations of time. Think of all the words that you have to describe the physical world. Up, down, left, right inclined up and down, north, south, east and west, all of the many shapes in both two and three dimensions...and then with time you have forward and back. Is it any wonder that we have no understanding of time? We don't have the tools to deal with it...

Reactions: Lynne
I’m sure the thought of time travel occurred to the first person who lived into old age. I am peeking over the edge myself and I think of going back often lol. This is a great topic but often makes my brain hurt. It’s hard to grasp. It is definitely the master of our existence and if we conquer it we become like God. The main reason I don’t think this is possible. However I do think perhaps our consciousness jumps realities at times. There has to be a reason for the time glitches that occur.