The best thing you ever ate?

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
Eating is one of the most important things we can do, right up there with drinking water and breathing. Sometime (probably most times) when eating, we treat the food as fuel only and don't really stop to enjoy it or even taste it. We're busy, in a hurry or tired, and whatever is on the plate gets shoved in without much thought or even notice.

But there are those times when we stop to really taste and enjoy our meal. Maybe it's a holiday, or a gathering of friends, or perhaps just you and your significant other on a date night. Whatever the reason, something you're eating really gets your taste buds dancing and you think "Wow! This is one of the best things I've ever eaten!".

So, what is the thing that has spoken loudest to your taste buds? It could be a pie from your childhood, something you had on your honeymoon, or some new dish you tried for the first time last night. Tell us!

Mine remains a delectable bread pudding from a place in Independence, MO. I'm making my kids bring me some when they come for Thanksgiving. :D

Bread Pudding - Zios Italian Kitchen
http://https://zios.com/menu-item/bread-pudding

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman
If you believe that eating is an experience shared with others, and I do, then I would say eating fresh water brook trout with my father and another fishing buddy, outside, along the stream that we caught the fish earlier in the day. I have many great fish and seafood meals, but this ranks number one for me.

I shall share my sad tale! lol Years ago, I was alone with a new baby, and after paying the rent and buying formula, had about $5 left. Hadn't eaten for about 36 hours, so went out and bought pototaes and onions...about all I could afford to make a few meals for myself. I have to tell you, when you're THAT hungry, that can taste like manna from heaven! And it did.

Support your local food pantries, folks. There are hungry people out there.

Sachertorte at the source of its origins, The Sacher Hotel in Vienna during its 150th anniversay in 1982. I had two slices.
Sachertorte3.jpg

Sausage City: Mirabell's Traditional All-Veal Bratwurst
I found this German restaurant about 3 miles west of Wrigley Field. Mirabells is sort of a corner neighborhood tavern, but the dining room is white linen all the way. The food deserves as much.
I'm still trying to recreate this all veal bratwurst soaked in buttermilk and deep fried in butter for a wafer thin crunch. Served on a pretzel bun buttered and toasted. I haven't found the right mustard yet, but 'Boetje's' Dutch mustard (made in Rock Island, IL.) is close. The peppers and onions are slowly sauteed and translucent.:) Crying tears of joy as this is typed.
mirabell%20brat.jpg

mirabell%20brat.jpg

Last edited:
I shall share my sad tale! lol Years ago, I was alone with a new baby, and after paying the rent and buying formula, had about $5 left. Hadn't eaten for about 36 hours, so went out and bought pototaes and onions...about all I could afford to make a few meals for myself. I have to tell you, when you're THAT hungry, that can taste like manna from heaven! And it did.

Support your local food pantries, folks. There are hungry people out there.

Been there Debi, it is so scary to live like that. Anything could happen that required money, which there was none. I have a sad tale similar to yours, actually from just last year. I have had loads of delicious foods in my life, but my most appreciated meals were at this time. I was living solely on my Social security disability, since i was unable to work because this was right after i broke my foot and had 2 surgeries. I had a knee scooter to get around on instead of crutches since they were too painful to use due to my broken back from a 25 foot fall from a tree the previous year. Anyway, My favorite meals were those boxed mashed potatoes with which i substituted sour cream instead of milk, and diced onions, which made it pretty good. At that time the very best food i had was Grilled cheese and Tomato soup. Amazing what you can love when you only eat once a day, and look so forward to that time of day. I started saying Grace before meals at this time.

Almost every food item was purchased at the dollar store, or a little given to me by friends, which I had a lot of personal difficulty in asking for help with. I was limited to a very strict $40 per month ($10/week) food budget after rent, utilities, medicine, doctors, etc. Every penny had to be accounted for. I could only afford to heat my living room, the rest of the house I closed off. For two months I endured 40 degrees in my kitchen and bathroom where you could see your breath. This actually saved me more electricity since there was no need to plug in the refrigerator. I slept on a mattress on the floor in my living room next to one of those big old natural gas space heaters that was supposed to heat my whole apartment, but couldn't. My freezer was a big Rubbermaid tote outside my back door, and my refrigerator was a bookcase in my unheated guest room. Exquisite ice cold toilet seat, frozen pipes and drains on a couple occasions. The School Administration building was across the street from my house which is where i was lucky to get an internet connection when my laptop was in just the right place in my house, however access to sites was very limited due to it having educational network limitations. Much more to this story, but I was just trying to paint a small enough picture to convey how much I have to be thankful for now, even though times are still tough without work.

Reactions: surge and Paintman