Sunday Chat

BobsCrew1.jpg
Bob, sorry I can't remember if you said, but are you still doing archaeology?
This is me and my crew in Illinois.

I work with CRM archaeologists, now, as a right of way agent on FERC pipeline projects. Occasionally, I'm asked to go out on survey, or help out on a project, which I try to do, when I have time. The last project that I directed Phase I and II, was a pipeline in Pike County, IL in 2007.
Yeah, the last work I did was with CRM too, just doing testing before construction, etc. I miss doing it. I think possibly this summer I will hook up with my old university and go help on one of their field schools - that would be enjoyable I think.

Reactions: Armand
Yeah, the last work I did was with CRM too, just doing testing before construction, etc. I miss doing it. I think possibly this summer I will hook up with my old university and go help on one of their field schools - that would be enjoyable I think.
I love field schools. I've supervised a couple, both in Kentucky. I wouldn't mind doing it again, especially on a good site. I'm very partial to late Pleistocene sites.

Reactions: Seahunter
I love field schools. I've supervised a couple, both in Kentucky. I wouldn't mind doing it again, especially on a good site. I'm very partial to late Pleistocene sites.
Yeah, after I graduated I came back the first year and worked as the foreman on one with my old professor - good times. Other than some of the testing sites, I concentrated on historical archaeology. Early settlers in the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, Civil War fort on the coast, and some others. Then for graduate work, I was working on nautical archaeology - shipbuilding, seafaring, etc. and conservation of artifacts from water environments. I got to work on some of the material from Port Royal while I was at Texas A&M.

Me, too. And, that they would pay archaeologists, a decent living wage. If so, I would still be doing it.
You got that right! Pay and lack of positions is what ended up causing me to leave the field.

It's always fun telling people that it's not quite like Indiana Jones in the movies, too! LOL

smiley_Indi.gif

Reactions: T-Bob
Yeah, after I graduated I came back the first year and worked as the foreman on one with my old professor - good times. Other than some of the testing sites, I concentrated on historical archaeology. Early settlers in the Willamette Valley area of Oregon, Civil War fort on the coast, and some others. Then for graduate work, I was working on nautical archaeology - shipbuilding, seafaring, etc. and conservation of artifacts from water environments. I got to work on some of the material from Port Royal while I was at Texas A&M.
Cool! I like Texas A&M. Because of their First Americans studies and underwater work. Here's a pic of me at 11PK1713, the last site I worked on professionally, an absolutely wonderful Early, Middle and Late Woodland Site in Pike County, IL.
bob archaeology BW_LR.jpg