Summer Camp #3 - Shadow Beast

Northern_Emp

Spread Thin
Reaction score
I hope these little stories aren't perceived as spam. I had intended to submit them all in one but couldn't due to character limits. I really consider these all personal experiences because I truly know what it's like at this camp.

2009 - Shadow Beast (Source: Friends/camp staff)

One night, during a weekend off, two camp employees were taking a joy ride on the back roads behind the camp itself, what's known as "River Road." It quite literally goes between the camp on one side, and a wide river on the other. They had been running errands earlier that day, but now were just looking to have some fun before officially returning to camp grounds. Rounding a corner on this gravel back road, the two boys were taken aback at the sight of a strange mass of blackness passing over the road. It was like fog, but darker. Almost like smoke, but it didn't casually drift away. It was like singular mass that passed over the road and just disappeared. Not white like fog. No trail like smoke. It just darted onto the road and off the road like you'd expect a deer or something.

Needless to say that creeped the boys out and they drove right back to the safety of the staff lodgings where they shared their story to whoever would listen.

Coincidentally, one of the boys that witnessed this "shadow beast" happens to be the same kid that witnessed the "Lord of the Silk Worms" just two years prior. And the place they witnessed the beast, on river road? Happens to be the closest road access to the now defunct Wilderness camp site* - quite near the clearing where it all took place.

*I say "defunct" because the Wilderness camp site has now been moved much closer to the main camp facilities, officially for "convenience and camper experience".

Great stories !! I have no idea what that black mass was but glad no one was hurt. There are unknowns in this world and that is scary.

Do you still help there ?

Reactions: garnetsilver
Not spam at all. I have a few of my own to tell and it can seem a lot if you just list it all out even if it spans 30 years of experience.

It does sound like there is something there, but may not be formed most of the time.
Reminds me of a ghost story told to me at one of the main Scout camps I visited a lot. I'll post about that later under the title "Bispam Hall"

Reactions: Lynne
Great stories !! I have no idea what that black mass was but glad no one was hurt. There are unknowns in this world and that is scary.

Do you still help there ?

I do not, as I needed to move on a develop my career. I still keep in touch with many other employees though.

Not spam at all. I have a few of my own to tell and it can seem a lot if you just list it all out even if it spans 30 years of experience.

It does sound like there is something there, but may not be formed most of the time.

Idk if this is of any significance, but a friend of mine took the time to compile a lot of the stories in reference to the lunar calendar. Apparently there has never been an occurrence prior to the full moon in June.

I hope these little stories aren't perceived as spam. I had intended to submit them all in one but couldn't due to character limits. I really consider these all personal experiences because I truly know what it's like at this camp.

2009 - Shadow Beast (Source: Friends/camp staff)

One night, during a weekend off, two camp employees were taking a joy ride on the back roads behind the camp itself, what's known as "River Road." It quite literally goes between the camp on one side, and a wide river on the other. They had been running errands earlier that day, but now were just looking to have some fun before officially returning to camp grounds. Rounding a corner on this gravel back road, the two boys were taken aback at the sight of a strange mass of blackness passing over the road. It was like fog, but darker. Almost like smoke, but it didn't casually drift away. It was like singular mass that passed over the road and just disappeared. Not white like fog. No trail like smoke. It just darted onto the road and off the road like you'd expect a deer or something.

Needless to say that creeped the boys out and they drove right back to the safety of the staff lodgings where they shared their story to whoever would listen.

Coincidentally, one of the boys that witnessed this "shadow beast" happens to be the same kid that witnessed the "Lord of the Silk Worms" just two years prior. And the place they witnessed the beast, on river road? Happens to be the closest road access to the now defunct Wilderness camp site* - quite near the clearing where it all took place.

*I say "defunct" because the Wilderness camp site has now been moved much closer to the main camp facilities, officially for "convenience and camper experience".
We are enjoying your stories and you are not in danger of the spam police....as I am them.

I do not, as I needed to move on a develop my career. I still keep in touch with many other employees though.

Idk if this is of any significance, but a friend of mine took the time to compile a lot of the stories in reference to the lunar calendar. Apparently there has never been an occurrence prior to the full moon in June.
Did anyone keep track of the dates of the occurrences? I would think if there was a pattern it would show with when they happened, as opposed to when they did not.