Stonehenge theory

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The building of Stonehenge was a celebration - Unexplained Mysteries

news-stonehenge-sun.jpg

Stonehenge was built around 5,000 years ago. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Simon Wakefield

The construction of the world-famous stone circle may have been all about bringing people together.
The social and ceremonial aspects of selecting the stones, moving them to the site and setting them up may have been just as important as the finished structure, historians have claimed.

This prioritizing of socializing and celebrations over speed and efficiency may also explain why the builders chose to transport some of the stones over such large distances.

"In contemporary Western culture, we are always striving to make things as easy and quick as possible, but we believe that for the builders of Stonehenge this may not have been the case," said archaeologist Susan Greaney, Senior Properties Historian at English Heritage.

Celebratory feasts around the site of the construction would have been "a powerful tool in demonstrating the strength of the community to outsiders."

"As soon as you abandon modern preconceptions which assume Neolithic people would have sought the most efficient way of building Stonehenge, questions like why the bluestones were brought from so far away - the Preseli Hills of south Wales - don't seem quite so perplexing," said Greaney.

Source: The Guardian

This seems like the most convincing theory yet! Because even at the time of building this, we had skilled tradesmen who were capable of building it faster, but just didn’t.

Sounds less stupid than the usual.

Usual explanation:
"Cool turnips! Where's the nearest place to get stone?"
"Wales."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I haven't checked the quarry, but Wales sounds right."
"Damn. Okay. How big do we need them to be?"
"Beats me. Just get the biggest ones to be on the safe side."

This theory:
"Cool turnips! I'll go round up the lads to get some rocks from the quarry... what?"
"Or... we seek the mightiest stone of legend from five hundred miles toward the setting sun and begin a work that will be sung of in legend throughout the aeons!"
"Yeah. Okay. That."

We can speculate but will never really know. It must have been something important to them that’s for sure.