spirit of a building

jd gertz

Reaction score
Hello new member here.

So I work at a ice rink/sportsplex, all the kids who work there speak of a ghost who haunts the place, they call it the "cowboy ghost".which is supposed to be the ghost of a old video game , that was removed about 2 years ago.

Now i'am a man of science and logic but tonight something happened that has perplexed me. I was locking up for the night and was making making a sweep of the building and i was about to kill the lights on the sportsplex side.

Suddenly I heard what sounded like a heavy boot steps and keys jiggling. So I looked around, thinking it was my boss checking on me, but alas I was alone. so I figured he was pulling a prank, so I called him on the walkie and asked if he was over on my side of the building, He answered and said "no" and that he was iceplex side( which is about 150 yards from me). I checked the doors and they were locked, and checked the locker rooms and restrooms and found no one. After i killed the lights i kept feeling as i was being watched.

My bosses boss said the building used to be a Sam's club in the 80's, when it closed one of the employees committed suicide in the backroom. After which he has haunted locker room 4, which is used as a locker room for the ice hockey teams.I always thought this was a ghost story told to the young kids.

I used to be military, and security, now I'm one of the facility maintenance workers, I believe that everything has a explanation of logic, but I cannot find one here.

Can a building have a spirit? By that I mean can a building develop a personality or a spirtual energy?

Last edited:
Can a building have a spirit? By that I mean can a building develop a personality or a spirtual energy
Welcome to the forum jd,I don't know about the building having personality but when you go to view homes for sale they do have different feels to them.You may be feeling some residual hopeless, sad energy,and hearing it from the poor guy who killed himself.If you are picking up on this you are probably sensitive and open,plus logical which helps.Someone on here is sure to know more about building's having their own energy.

so as an update, I was speaking to one of the coaches that has been there for along time. There used to be a maintenance worker who had been there for a couple of decades. He died in his office one night, possibly of a heart attack. She said that alot of people have seen him and heard him, and that he really cared about the building. she said that he will manifest him self from time to time, telling employees to get back to work etc.

She said that he was just letting me know he is there and was watching.

Welcome to the forum jd,I don't know about the building having personality but when you go to view homes for sale they do have different feels to them.You may be feeling some residual hopeless, sad energy,and hearing it from the poor guy who killed himself.If you are picking up on this you are probably sensitive and open,plus logical which helps.Someone on here is sure to know more about building's having their own energy.
t

Thank you for your response, it did not feel depressed or angry. but more so pleased and watching. how would know if they are sensitive,
I've always been more of practical over fantismal type of person.

Hi JD and welcome to the forum. Let me try and explain a few things from the paranormal side of things.

First, paranormal just means what is "beyond or above" the normal that can currently be explained by science. Here's the thing...science is now starting to find the connections to some of this in the quantum world so it's not quite as fantismal as you might think.

From a building standpoint, it's now shown that stone/rock and wood can absorb energy and "replay" certain scenes and actions of people who were formerly a part of that building. It's known as "Stone tapes". Some call it residual hauntings. These are normally repeat scenes that enact themselves over and over with no awareness. We don't know yet what triggers these "tapes" to go into replay, but it does happen in many buildings with a history of traumatic death.

Now, if it is an actual entity there, if you are a person of faith this isn't a big jump. The soul lives on and in some cases that soul shows up to "check on " things it was attached to. If you want to look at it scientifically, energy does not "die"...it simply changes.

With science now finding the possibility of multiple dimensions and even a possible "Matrix" scenario, many things in science are changing rapidly on how they view these events. They are now finding these things are very possible, and one day may be explainable through science, with or without the overlay of spirituality.

Hi JD and welcome to the forum. Let me try and explain a few things from the paranormal side of things.

First, paranormal just means what is "beyond or above" the normal that can currently be explained by science. Here's the thing...science is now starting to find the connections to some of this in the quantum world so it's not quite as fantismal as you might think.

From a building standpoint, it's now shown that stone/rock and wood can absorb energy and "replay" certain scenes and actions of people who were formerly a part of that building. It's known as "Stone tapes". Some call it residual hauntings. These are normally repeat scenes that enact themselves over and over with no awareness. We don't know yet what triggers these "tapes" to go into replay, but it does happen in many buildings with a history of traumatic death.

Now, if it is an actual entity there, if you are a person of faith this isn't a big jump. The soul lives on and in some cases that soul shows up to "check on " things it was attached to. If you want to look at it scientifically, energy does not "die"...it simply changes.

With science now finding the possibility of multiple dimensions and even a possible "Matrix" scenario, many things in science are changing rapidly on how they view these events. They are now finding these things are very possible, and one day may be explainable through science, with or without the overlay of spirituality.

I do appreciate your response, I was not trying to appear as closed minded. I fully believe that a soul does not simply just vanish, I've seen dead bodies both military and in corrections. There is a certain light, a "flame" in a person that I believe just doesn't go out. it has to go some where, After the information I got this morning. I am in awww, I believe this "cowboy ghost" is actually some type of the maintenance man who worked there for about 20-30 years. what I'm curious about now is why is he still there, after death why he not want to cross over?

I do appreciate your response, I was not trying to appear as closed minded. I fully believe that a soul does not simply just vanish, I've seen dead bodies both military and in corrections. There is a certain light, a "flame" in a person that I believe just doesn't go out. it has to go some where, After the information I got this morning. I am in awww, I believe this "cowboy ghost" is actually some type of the maintenance man who worked there for about 20-30 years. what I'm curious about now is why is he still there, after death why he not want to cross over?
There are many questions with spirits who stay. Or, he may have crossed and just "visits". There are sooo many questions in the paranormal world, and we base our answers on our best theories and guesses based on history, myth, and spiritual writings. Don't be afraid to talk to him and acknowledge him even if you cannot see him. He may simply have loved what he did and the building, or he may not know he has died and continues to do his job.

I have had interactions with spirits/entities all my life, and I always say a prayer for them. If that is within your belief system, I personally believe it helps them in some way.

Welcome to the forum, jd. :)

I've personally never thought of buildings as having their own energy but I have always been sensitive to residual energy of people who have passed in buildings. Sometimes it's positive, sometimes it's negative, but it sounds positive in the building you are working in and it sounds as though you are open to it. Debi gave some good advice.

Again, welcome to the forum. :)

t

Thank you for your response, it did not feel depressed or angry. but more so pleased and watching. how would know if they are sensitive,
I've always been more of practical over fantismal type of person.
I meant you are sensitive to this,you may be just starting to become open.

Someone on here is sure to know more about building's having their own energy.
It's true about buildings having their own energy. We are currently searching for a new home, and I have a technique where, if the house is standing empty, I just lay a hand on the front door and pick up the energy. Many times there is some residual energy from the former owners, but I can say with certainty that often times the house has energy of its own! One house was so warm and welcoming, but it already had three offers so we had to let it go. So it stands to reason that a building such as the one you mention, JD, is speaking to you; either that, or some departed spirits that are hanging around it.

And welcome to the forums!