Space or Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
So, we've spent years sending probes and people into space. We've learned quite a bit from doing so, but we've largely ignored the ocean depths right here on earth. What's down there? Do you think we should put more funds into exploring our oceans and less into exploring space?

How about we explore both? Beyond shrimp running on a treadmill, that is. And while we're at it, how about we clean up the mess we've made of both? The miles and miles of garbage floating on the ocean, the tons of radioactive water pouring into the Pacific. The space junk floating above us is getting just as thick. I think we're concentrating on space because the PTB know we've pretty much killed earth and are going to have to bail someday.

Humanity has so much potential. Unfortunately, it all goes back to who can make money from what. The almighty dollar has effectively squashed true exploration and discovery just for the sake of knowledge. It has to have a profit margin involved.

From what I have seen, the really deep parts of the oceans look like mountainous deserts. And the life that is found at great depths is some scary looking creatures, right out of a nightmare.

I am positive there are lifeforms that we don't even know about found in the oceans, unlike what we have seen so far in space, or off planet.

But space exploration fascinates me more than exploring the ocean depths. I want us to find proof of life outside of this glorious blue globe we live on, a virtual jewel in the darkness of space. It really is a beautiful planet, seen from ground level or from great distance out in space. The abundance and variety of all kinds of life surely makes Earth really special, almost like a higher being created it for the joy of its beauty in an otherwise barren solar system.

I think man's future if we can survive the insanity, lies in settling other viable planets or moons. At least I sure hope so.

Reactions: Debi
I'll be the odd man out and say study the oceans. I also agree with Debi about our oceans having become polluted because some company had to make a buck at the Earth's and our expenses. Our ocean can hold so much information about our planet.

Reactions: surge
I'd like to see the oceans explored a bit more. We have learned a lot from space exploration, and have gained a lot of practical knowledge that has trickled down into everyday life. Who knows what we might learn from exploring the ocean's depths? Perhaps, in addition to new, bizarre life forms, we might find new and better treatments or even cures for diseases.

Reactions: Debi
I was wondering how much of the planet is as of yet unexplored, and I stumbled upon this article:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...s-of-the-world-where-unknown-animals-may-lurk

But let’s get to the heart of the matter: yes, there are large stretches of ocean where unknown megafauna could be hiding. NOAA estimates 95 percent of the sea remains unexplored. Since the ocean covers 70 percent of the Earth’s surface, that means almost two-thirds of the planet is as mysterious to us as it was in Magellan’s day.

The immense mid-ocean ridges formed by plate tectonics, which at 40,000 miles are by far the longest continuous mountain range in the world, weren’t discovered until the 1950s. The amount of properly mapped seafloor in the public domain is 2 to 3 percent, and even when you add in what’s been mapped by the world’s navies and kept secret, the figure is likely no more than 10 percent. Bear in mind this is strictly topographical mapping, to keep submarines from crashing into underwater mountains. (The USS San Francisco did this in 2005, killing one sailor.) So we have no systematic account of what’s living in even that 10 percent.

A 42-day expedition to the Philippines in 2011 found hundreds of new marine species, including a type of swell shark (which can inflate itself with water) and a pancake-shaped sea slug. The ocean around Antarctica is vast, deep, and poorly explored, and more than half the deep-water creatures known to live there have been spotted only once or twice.

Most newly discovered species don’t qualify as gargantuan, but some are pretty big. The megamouth shark, undiscovered till 1976, can reach 18 feet in length. The giant squid, long believed to be the largest invertebrate in the world, had never been seen alive till 2004, when a specimen more than 25 feet long was caught on camera; meanwhile an apparently even bigger critter, the colossal squid, remains elusive. Researchers from the massive Census of Marine Life project reported in 2010 that even though there are 250,000 known ocean species, perhaps 750,000 more await discovery, to say nothing of more than a billion types of microbes.

But it’s not just the sea that holds mysteries. The forested mountains of the Sierra de Maigualida region of Venezuela, covering more than 4,500 square miles, are almost entirely unexplored. The same is true of large swaths of Antarctica, most surveys having been done from aircraft. Antarctica also features enormous freshwater lakes locked deep under the ice. The largest, Lake Vostok, holds about 1,500 cubic miles of million-year-old water, potentially harboring prehistoric creatures unlike anything else we’ve encountered.

Megafauna could be hiding in caves. By some estimates, even in well-explored regions like the U.S. only 50 percent of caves have been investigated, and worldwide it’s maybe 10 percent. However, big critters would have big appetites, and a cave, lacking photosynthesis, is necessarily a low-energy environment. As a result, most new wildlife discoveries in caves are bug-scale.

(more at site)

Reactions: surge and Debi
Status
Not open for further replies.