Social Media

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Do you use any social media sites?
Do you spend much time on them?
What do you use them for? Keeping in touch with family? Information? Storing pictures? Following programs of interest or videos?
How safe do you feel these sites are?

395505690_655128806767188_5002160631085382164_n.jpg

I really hate facebook although most of my family and friends are on it. I think it's destroyed society with it's socialness, if you know what I mean, lol. It has destroyed countless lives with the gossip which people take as gospel.

I really hate facebook although most of my family and friends are on it. I think it's destroyed society with it's socialness, if you know what I mean, lol. It has destroyed countless lives with the gossip which people take as gospel.
I only use this site as a chat/sharing spot. Never logged into FB though everyone i know is on there. If i wanted to reach out to talk to someone i knew, i called them or went to their house. I tried one site awhile back as i got a message saying someone was searching my name on there. Bogus way to get me to sign up as i even tried contacting the supposed person who searched me and they never responded. I'm not hard to get in touch with. I am in the phone book (for those who even still use those ancient tomes lol).

I do have a facebook account to keep up with family and friends, and I also use it to screen for stories that might be good content here. And of course, I find a lot of memes there....lol

I asked this question because I've seen stories about people wanting to sue FB, Twitter *X*, etc. because it's impacting their mental health or they want to protect the children. Now, let me just say, I'm a big believer in keeping people safe, but it starts with the individual.

What happened to taking responsibility for what you look at online? Or scrolling on by? Or making sure your child is old enough to handle an account responsibly? I guess I'm old school because I can see a post I disagree with on FB and scroll right past it, or use my privacy settings to block that site or ad.

I do have a facebook account to keep up with family and friends, and I also use it to screen for stories that might be good content here. And of course, I find a lot of memes there....lol

I asked this question because I've seen stories about people wanting to sue FB, Twitter *X*, etc. because it's impacting their mental health or they want to protect the children. Now, let me just say, I'm a big believer in keeping people safe, but it starts with the individual.

What happened to taking responsibility for what you look at online? Or scrolling on by? Or making sure your child is old enough to handle an account responsibly? I guess I'm old school because I can see a post I disagree with on FB and scroll right past it, or use my privacy settings to block that site or ad.
The sad part is nobody cares anymore. The problem seemed to come in a flash, but it most likely gradually happened. Accountability has been thrown out the window until the blinders come off and now all of a sudden that specific issue becomes important. All things are important. We just need to remember that and not only when social media deems it important.

I agree, Oz. I canceled my FB account years ago and never looked back. When I want to talk to someone I text to set up a convenient time to phone or email. I have seen FB destroy marriages, cause feuds, and malign character. I know some people have good experiences with it, but not me.

I have FB, Instagram, Snap chat, Twitter, and 2 forums. I will admit to not contributing much on any of them except this forum anymore. I check in on them once or twice a week. I do not think they are bad, like anything else they need to be used responsibly.