Should a radio host pretend to know things on the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
Okay, this has become increasingly annoying to me on the occasions I still subject myself to The Dull One just to hear the guest - Snoory using Wikipedia during the program to make it look as though he knows facts that he clearly doesn't. For example, Snoory's guest last night brought up a topic, which got George typing away in Wikipedia - you could tell, because as the guest went on for a few minutes, George wasn't doing his typical mistimed interruption of the flow of the guest. So then, once he's finished reading the computer, Snoory interjects with a comment that the guest had just addressed, then shoots off a question, which that too had just been covered. Then George still made another two comments of fact like he knew them off the top of his head, which he was repeating what the guest had JUST said had he been listening! You could just tell in the guest's voice he was like, where the heck have you been, cause you sure weren't listening to me! I looked up the subject in Wikipedia myself just to see, and yes, Snoory's questions and comments went in the exact order in which they appeared in Wikipedia.

So the question is, should a radio host supplement their show with simultaneous use of the computer to do the research they should have done prior to the program, and to make it look like they know the history and facts of a topic? I feel it can be done occasionally just to fact check, but should not be a crutch for one thing, and too much of a distraction for someone clearly not capable of multi-tasking.

No one could know everything about everything. However, most hosts have a reasonable amount of working knowledge about the topic that they are covering. Whorge is an idiot with an IQ lower than his shoe size. He thinks he is so slick when looking things up in Wikipedia, but he is very obvious, therefore making himself look even stupider.

Reactions: Debi and surge
I agree, Roy, it's not acceptable to do except as an occasional fact-checking method if the host is unsure of something. There is something called research and show prep that should be done in advance of doing the actual show, which should negate the need for on-air research.

This isn't anything new for Snoory. I remember numerous times in the past when I'd get ticked off at him for clacking away on the keyboard, or shuffling papers, while the guest was talking. It's bad form, and shows that the host either isn't prepared or has no interest in the guest. In Snoory's case, probably both. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Debi
This is probably his most annoying habit! The look it up so you look smart and then show how stupid you are by re-asking about what was just explained while you looked it up. :rolleyes: And I heard that exchange last night, Roy. I keep waiting for a guest to say, "George, you're obviously not paying attention as I just explained that!" Somebody needs to just flat out call him on it on air. It would be their last appearance on C2C but I'd buy their book just to say thank you!

I like the way Clyde handles unknown things....he actually will tell his producer, on air, "Hey guys! Look that up for me!" or "OK, let me Google that right now!" He's upfront and honest about not knowing something and doesn't try to baffle with BS.

I know Bob does a lot of research before his interviews and has questions going in, too. Good interviewers DO the WORK, even when they have a producer to help them. The idea is to draw the best out of your guest, NOT make the show about YOU, which George always does.

Reactions: surge and Seahunter
Did anyone catch the relish with which Snorge said that Richard Hoagland wanted to discuss some new findings on Coast and George said he told Richard that he was on the backburner right now? Noory is a pig. A disrespectful pig.

No offense to actual pigs.

Did anyone catch the relish with which Snorge said that Richard Hoagland wanted to discuss some new findings on Coast and George said he told Richard that he was on the backburner right now? Noory is a pig. A disrespectful pig.

No offense to actual pigs.
What??? When?!! I missed that!

Status
Not open for further replies.