Session 9

Mocefice

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this movie?

It was released in 2001 and was based on AND filmed at the infamous Danvers State Mental Institution in Danvers, Ma. Before I even knew of the film, my mother and aunt would tell us about it, because the town my aunt grew up in was neighboring to the institution. We even drove our entire family in a van up the winding road to the abandoned building but had to turn around for obvious reasons.

The film didn't do very well but I was always so interested in the goings on there. It was, after all, the birth place of the frontal lobotomy. I went one last time with some friends and snuck up the towering staircase on the side of the hill only to be spotted by security when we got too close. They demolished it a few years later.

*fun fact, it was built in the shape of a bat.

Attachments

• danvers.jpeg
    danvers.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 39
  • danvers2.jpeg
    danvers2.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 36
I haven't seen the movie and that is a scary looking building. I would not have noticed till you showed the pics and mentioned that it was shaped like a bat. I wonder if that was just an accident of planning or on purpose. I don't visit haunted places because not only am I a scaredy cat, but I would be the one effected afterward. I am sure something would follow me home. I do like to watch other people take the risk on tv though. Was it an impressive building inside? I am surprised it was torn down since it looks to be in good condition and big enough to turn into a hotel or something.

I hardly even saw the building the one time I got close enough. It was kept under 24 hour watch. It opened in 1878 but was demolished in 2007. It was reported that due to lack of funding, the hospital had to close and, apparently, all the inhabitants were released on to the streets if no one came to get them. Very creepy.

The movie however was filmed inside the building before it was torn down, so it's really cool to see it.

And yes, it was built in the shape of a bat on purpose. One wing was the mens and the other was the womens. Pretty interesting. But it's also WAY more interesting to know it was the birth place of the frontal lobotomy. Crazy to think it all started with an ice pick. Horrible.

Reactions: Lynne
I hardly even saw the building the one time I got close enough. It was kept under 24 hour watch. It opened in 1878 but was demolished in 2007. It was reported that due to lack of funding, the hospital had to close and, apparently, all the inhabitants were released on to the streets if no one came to get them. Very creepy.

The movie however was filmed inside the building before it was torn down, so it's really cool to see it.

And yes, it was built in the shape of a bat on purpose. One wing was the mens and the other was the womens. Pretty interesting. But it's also WAY more interesting to know it was the birth place of the frontal lobotomy. Crazy to think it all started with an ice pick. Horrible.
Some interesting history there. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Mocefice