Second hand book shops

That is what I am working on too. I don't like being cut off either, and would like to choose when I want to let things in.
If you can visualize your shields AS a cloak, you can open it up to the degree you wish on command. Takes some practice, but it can also become second nature for you after some practice. Over the years it's pretty much how I have learned to use the shields.

Reactions: Donna K.
My mum has a couple of old books called 'Coles Funny Book,'I think from the 20's or 30's.They are the most racist,weird books and have creeped me out since a kid.Believe me there's nothing funny about them.They are truly bizarre.
One thing I have learned over the years is to put things within their own "time". The past has many different "time zones", so to speak, and you have to view things from that generational view. I grew up in a time that, when I look back at commercials from that day and age, I honestly wince. However, I can go back and remember how widely some of the views were held as perfectly "normal". We hit that sometimes on the old movies we watch on movie night as well. Certain behaviors and thinking was common during specific time periods and accepted as that norm.

That doesn't make it right, nor do I condone it at all. However, we have to give ourselves credit for growing past it to the degree we have. I often look for the older books that were progressive in their thinking and ahead of their times. It's a good balance for those that were outlandish. :)

One thing I have learned over the years is to put things within their own "time". The past has many different "time zones", so to speak, and you have to view things from that generational view. I grew up in a time that, when I look back at commercials from that day and age, I honestly wince. However, I can go back and remember how widely some of the views were held as perfectly "normal". We hit that sometimes on the old movies we watch on movie night as well. Certain behaviors and thinking was common during specific time periods and accepted as that norm.

That doesn't make it right, nor do I condone it at all. However, we have to give ourselves credit for growing past it to the degree we have. I often look for the older books that were progressive in their thinking and ahead of their times. It's a good balance for those that were outlandish. :)
Its hard to imagine people thought these things were ok.I've seen a lot of changes here in 55 years,for the better in these cases.Australia was way behind the US for many of these years and living now in rural outback OZ,the horrors of the past are still very much alive.

Reactions: Donna K. and Debi
This part of the charm of very old books (and films/comedy) purely because it highlights the difference between then and now. It makes you realise that a civilisation at one time may think it is perfectly normal to keep a small black boy as a pet. I am grateful we have progressed.

You also see some things in DIY books or gardening books that make you shudder. - Like "dusting your vegetables with calomel dust" to prevent caterpillars. - Well it would, as calomel is Mercury Chloride and highly toxic. Even earlier it was given orally to patients suffering from fevers. Not sure what they died of - the fever or the mercury poisoning?

The good old days,maybe not so good.I was a greenkeeper at Lawn bowling clubs for many years.We sprayed the greens often with mercury based fungicide,I remember as a kid of 15 watching the boss stiring the drum with his arm and telling me its harmless.His first child was born with terrible deformities.Ahh the good old days.

Reactions: Donna K. and Lynne
I put up a permanent shield before I could read so I don't have those experiences unless I want to. I am also pretty right on in discerning BEFORE I go in or pick up or whatever -- the energy and just avoid it if it is negative.

I love old books stores... and Libraries.

The Exception to the rule (and there always is) is Walmart. I have terrible anxiety/panic attacks in Walmart. I just can not shop there. Walk out every time. Nothing personal about the store - just is what it is.

I put up a permanent shield before I could read so I don't have those experiences unless I want to. I am also pretty right on in discerning BEFORE I go in or pick up or whatever -- the energy and just avoid it if it is negative.

I love old books stores... and Libraries.

The Exception to the rule (and there always is) is Walmart. I have terrible anxiety/panic attacks in Walmart. I just can not shop there. Walk out every time. Nothing personal about the store - just is what it is.
I don’t like shopping at Walmart either. I really don’t know why. I feel anxious there.

Reactions: Donna K.