Second hand book shops

Rowan2222

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Does anyone else have feelings when visiting second hand book shops?

I tend to find that are very "noisy" - hearing a constant sound of thousands of people reading to themselves in whispers. There seems to be a lot of residual energy there, and I've had more than one major experience in one shop.
They also seem to be home to poltergeist activity as there are several accounts of books being thrown off shelves, figures seen etc.

So have you experienced anything in second hand bookshops, or what do you think of the activity reported there?

Does anyone else have feelings when visiting second hand book shops?

I tend to find that are very "noisy" - hearing a constant sound of thousands of people reading to themselves in whispers. There seems to be a lot of residual energy there, and I've had more than one major experience in one shop.
They also seem to be home to poltergeist activity as there are several accounts of books being thrown off shelves, figures seen etc.

So have you experienced anything in second hand bookshops, or what do you think of the activity reported there?
First, I love the places! The scent is intoxicating! lol

There is an overall sense that I get when in them, though, and I agree there is a "backwash" of energy in them. Sounds to me (pardon the pun here) that you are a bit clairaudient. I am not that kind of "clair", but I do "sense" things when I pick up an old book. Sometimes it may be the former owner, or it could just be the person who last touched it. I tend to go into any shop with shields up because I can quickly be overwhelmed with energy. Have you tried shielding when you start to hear the whispers?

Me, too Debi! I just love old book shops! But I am more tactile with picking things up. There was a time that I would be able to see whomever had held a book last, or in the case of a library book I would see a lot of faces. I soon learned to block it since it isn't at all important to know who had the book before me. I once found a box of books on the curb, and there was a really old book of poetry that made me deeply sad whenever I held it. I finally had to accept that the previous owner had committed suicide, but couldn't bring myself to get rid of the book because they just don't make them like they used to. Over time the energy faded a bit, but it is still there.

Over time the energy faded a bit, but it is still there.
Sprinkle a bit of salt on the outside of that book, Garnet. It may absorb some of that energy. Be sure to let it sit there about 24 hours then dispose of the used salt OUTSIDE. I prefer using rock salt for that kind of thing. You can use parchment paper to lie between the salt and the cover if you want to protect the cover itself.

Reassuring to know others are affected too. I find older pub doorways very active too - usually aggressive, but just past the doorway it settles down. Always busy places - even when empty!

Shielding - I used to, but I didn't like the feeling of being cut off and isolated. I prefer to feel first then act. Now it's more of a cloak that I can button up if things go wrong.

Great topic.
As a rule I try to avoid second hand things. My mom has a friend that she visits antique shops with. One day they were out shopping and she saw an antique chair. Whatever she felt was bad enough for her to say " let's leave right now."

Another time they took a trip to the Deep South. New Orleans , Savannah and Charlotte. She forewarned about visiting a certain restaurant. They got up to those old-fashioned Garden Gates out front and said let's leave right now.

So yes I certainly believe that it happens. And people have different perceptions of what's going on, for what had happened. I get a physical twitch in my hand that tells me to pay close attention. Then go with the first gut feelimg. That has kept me off of tall ladder sometimes ,and bad neighborhoods. Sometimes it's so loud and clear it just says "duck."

Sprinkle a bit of salt on the outside of that book, Garnet. It may absorb some of that energy. Be sure to let it sit there about 24 hours then dispose of the used salt OUTSIDE. I prefer using rock salt for that kind of thing. You can use parchment paper to lie between the salt and the cover if you want to protect the cover itself.
Done!

Reactions: Donna K.
Shielding - I used to, but I didn't like the feeling of being cut off and isolated. I prefer to feel first then act. Now it's more of a cloak that I can button up if things go wrong.
That is what I am working on too. I don't like being cut off either, and would like to choose when I want to let things in.

My mum has a couple of old books called 'Coles Funny Book,'I think from the 20's or 30's.They are the most racist,weird books and have creeped me out since a kid.Believe me there's nothing funny about them.They are truly bizarre.

Reactions: garnetsilver