Scientists fear secret AI killer army

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Fears South Korean university is 'secretly developing killer AI robot army'

'PANDORA'S BOX'
South Korean university is secretly developing killer AI robot army that could destroy humanity, scientists fear

KAIST university allegedly launched a new AI weapons lab to develop lethal autonomous weapons described as 'weapons of terror'

A TOP South Korean university is secretly developing a killer Artificial Intelligence robot army that could destroy humanity, scientists fear.

KAIST university allegedly launched a new AI weapons lab in February, leading dozens of researchers to believe the products will "have the potential to be weapons of terror".

Toby Walsh, a professor at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, organised the boycott with 49 other researchers.

He said in an open letter: "If developed, autonomous weapons will ... permit war to be fought faster and at a scale great than ever before.

"They will have the potential to be weapons of terror."

KAIST said it had "no intention to engage in development of lethal autonomous weapons systems and killer robots".

Professor Walsh acknowledged there were many good uses of robotics and Artificial Intelligence in the military.

The scientists cited effective bans on previous arms technologies and urged KAIST to ban any work on lethal autonomous weapons and refrain from AI uses that would harm human lives.

But he said they should not be able to decide "who lives or dies".

The letter, also signed by top experts on deep learning and robotics, was released ahead of next Monday’s meeting in Geneva by 123 UN member countries on the challenges posed by lethal autonomous weapons, described as “killer robots”.

AI is the field in computer science that aims to create machines able to make sense of the environment and make decisions.

This is terrifying. It’s no surprise this is Korea!! That guy is a menace to life on earth. Hopefully they can’t afford to really accomplish this.

I really hope the authorities nip this one in the ass. We can’t afford to have technology like this around, unless we’re building for the purpose of finding a way to stop them effectively

Reactions: Paulm
I really hope the authorities nip this one in the ass. We can’t afford to have technology like this around, unless we’re building for the purpose of finding a way to stop them effectively
well, the good thing is that we are a very long way from this being a "terminator" scenario....maybe in the infancy of such a thing but still a long way off....machines such as this still need constant maintenance, and they are not self reliant at this or any near future stage. cant reload themselves, and so far no weapon is jam proof in combat..too many small factors come into play for this to be a serious threat just yet.

easy to fight. a portable EMP device.

Reactions: Paintman
easy to fight. a portable EMP device.
Plans for a linear EMP are actually available online. For God knows what reason plans for these are available to anyone. But if I was a scientist working with AI I’d keep one handy at all times

Reactions: sal
they are easy to make. I made one with 12 car batteries. Took out everything for 10 miles ( this was in the desert with no one around but my sensors and old computers ) Funny thing was i toasted my friends truck at 7 miles .( he did not calculate the miles correctly.)

Reactions: Paintman
they are easy to make. I made one with 12 car batteries. Took out everything for 10 miles ( this was in the desert with no one around but my sensors and old computers ) Funny thing was i toasted my friends truck at 7 miles .( he did not calculate the miles correctly.)
Just curious why you wanted to build one?

I remember you sharing that awhile back. Hey, did you get that container house done, Sal?

Reactions: Charleh
Remind me not to mess with you :D you might come in handy when skynet comes to kill us

Reactions: Lynne, sal and Debi