SC UFO

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A woman in South Carolina was left scratching her head after she spotted and subsequently filmed a mystifying orb lingering in the night sky. Debra Thompson's remarkable sighting reportedly occurred on Christmas Eve when she went outside of her house on Kiawah Island to shut off some holiday decorations and noticed "this beautiful red sphere" overhead. Amazed by what she was witnessing, Thompson pulled out her cell phone and captured a five-and-a-half minute long video of the oddity.

Although the footage is admittedly hard to decipher and largely just shows a colorful orb in the sky, the sighting is noteworthy by virtue of the surprising length of the video and that Thompson provided a wealth of detail about the experience. "It moved around a bit and disappeared into a pin hole," she said in the description of the video on YouTube, "then it reappeared back to its same size in a few minutes." Thompson also observed that there were no sounds emanating from the object and that it appeared to be flying as if under intelligent control rather than floating.

Perhaps the most intriguing insight from Thompson was that she felt like the object somehow knew that she was filming it, which echoes other UFO witnesses who have reported some kind of psychic connection with the object that they encountered. Fortunately for her, it would appear that she was not alone in sighting something strange that night as a local TV station picked up her story and was later inundated with emails from other residents who said that they also witnessed a UFO that evening as well.

What, exactly, the oddity could have been is, of course, a mystery. Despite Thompson's contention that the object looked to be intelligently controlled, steadfast skeptics will likely argue that she is simply mistaken and that the object was a Chinese lantern released by someone as part of a Christmas Eve celebration. What's your take on what Thompson and, apparently, so many others witnesses?

It's a Chinese lantern.

Reactions: Debi
It's a Chinese lantern.

Yep.....its tradition on some of the barrier islands to release the lanterns on Christmas eve and new years eve....I've heard of that from Charleston down to Jekyll island GA....Jekyll or st Simons I think even had a Chinese lantern festival for a while.

Reactions: Debi
Yep.....its tradition on some of the barrier islands to release the lanterns on Christmas eve and new years eve....I've heard of that from Charleston down to Jekyll island GA....Jekyll or st Simons I think even had a Chinese lantern festival for a while.

To anyone who has never seen Chinese lanterns, I can understand them being mistaken for UFOs. They give off what can appear as a pulsating light, are very susceptible to even the slightest change in wind direction and/or speed, and are obviously silent. They are especially visually striking if viewed in misty or foggy conditions, tends to intensify the light due to reflection/refraction. The effect is similar to using your high beams in fog or mist.

We used to make them as kids with dry cleaning bags, soda straws, and birthday cake candles. The blue tinted dry cleaning bags in particular gave off a very eerie glow.

Reactions: Debi and Paulm