Russia 'tried to cut off' World Wide Web

Maphoo

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
By Roland Oliphant, Moscow

6:15PM BST 15 Oct 2015

Russia has run large scale experiments to test the feasibility of cutting the country off the World Wide Web, a senior industry executive has claimed.

The tests, which come amid mounting concern about a Kremlin campaign to clamp down on internet freedoms, have been described by experts as preparations for an information blackout in the event of a domestic political crisis.

Andrei Semerikov, general director of a Russian service provider called Er Telecom, said Russia’s ministry of communications and Roskomnadzor, the national internet regulator, ordered communications hubs run by the main Russian internet providers to block traffic to foreign communications channels by using a traffic control system called DPI.

The objective was to see whether the Runet – the informal name for the Russian internet – could continue to function in isolation from the global internet.

The experiment, which took place in spring this year, failed because thousands of smaller service providers, which Roskomnadzor has little control over, continued to pass information out of the country, Mr Semerikov said.

Smaller providers account for over 50 per cent of the market in some Russian regions, generally lack the DPI technology used by the larger companies to implement the blocking orders, and often use satellite connections that cannot be easily blocked.

Russian officials denied any such experiment had taken place. A Roskomnadzor spokesman said “there was not such experiment". The agency had not responded to a written request for further details by close of business Thursday.

Mr Semerikov’s comments had been wrongly interpreted and “in such a form that it is pointless to comment on it,” another Roskomnadzor spokesman told RBK, a Russian newspaper.

But the reported Spring experiment follows a similar test in July last year, when security agencies including the FSB, the defence ministry, and the interior ministry collaborated with the national telephone operator to see if a national intranet made up of the domain names ending in .ru or. рф could continue to operate if cut off from other parts of the Internet.

That test was reportedly ordered personally by Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, to assess the Russian internet’s ability to continue operating if Western countries introduce sanctions cutting off the country from the internet, and resulted in a decision to build backup infrastructure to ensure the Runet's continued operation.

This is not a good sign. It's only a matter of time before the Kremlin shuts down those small ISPs... mark my words

Reactions: Mokey
That's usually saved for Asian countries. They do like their hacking.

Reactions: Maphoo
most definitely... how well it works is unclear
back in the days when it was still ARPANET i am sure it was easily disabled, but with the thousands of isps, i dont know how well it would work.. I have been on the internet since its wee days (1991). back then almost all sites were .edu .gov .mil and you had to know dos to use it, and you paid by the hour. I had a compuserve account and i remember paying 70 bucks a month for 2400 baud connections. no pictures(too slow).. just text that putzed along the screen at a speed just faster than you could read. The changes are just amazing

Reactions: Debi
It would be difficult to tell. There are so many ways to conceal where attempts are coming from (least of all botnets) that making such a claim would be specious at best.
yeah, hackers can spoof their way out of a blockade