Technology Robot passed self awareness test

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.techradar.com/news/world...t-just-passed-the-self-awareness-test-1299362

Roboticists at the Ransselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York have built a trio of robots that were put through the classic 'wise men puzzle' test of self-awareness - and one of them passed.

In the puzzle, a fictional king is choosing a new advisor and gathers the three wisest people in the land. He promises the contest will be fair, then puts either a blue or white hat on each of their heads and tells them all that the first person to stand up and correctly deduce the colour of their own hat will become his new advisor.

Selmer Bringsjord set up a similar situation for the three robots - two were prevented from talking, then all three were asked which one was still able to speak. All attempt to say "I don't know", but only one succeeds - and when it hears its own voice, it understands that it was not silenced, saying "Sorry, I know now!"

However, as we can assume that all three robots were coded the same, technically, all three have passed this self-awareness test.

ASIMO_robot_keyring-320-80.jpg

Great! It's ALIVE! Good thing it's still the size I can whack with a fly swatter and take out! (For the good of humanity, you understand. :D)

I wouldn't mind a self aware robot. Force someone to put up with me. I'd love a R2D2

Reactions: Debi
NO, INDIGO! Don't let the allure of tech take you over and draw you to the dark side!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: Indigo
NO, INDIGO! Don't let the allure of tech take you over and draw you to the dark side!!! :eek::eek::eek:
I got a roomba from my MIL for Xmas. If they can make a Rosie for me I'll be golden. A roomba with 4 shedding pets is a lifesaver.

Sorry, I prefer to roomba my ass across a room directing my own vacuum, thanks!

Reactions: Indigo
Sorry, I prefer to roomba my ass across a room directing my own vacuum, thanks!
So it doesn't get everything...like I said I've got BAD shedders but it's awesome to have it run while we're at work & the lab has figured out how to confuse it by putting his blanket over it or slamming his muzzle into the sensors. I'm waiting for the day he just turns it off ;)