Robo Fly

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Slightly heavier than a toothpick, the first wireless insect-size robot takes flight

Slightly heavier than a toothpick, the first wireless insect-size robot takes flight
  • Engineers from the University of Washington have created the first wireless insect-size robot, powered by a laser beam.
  • Until now, robotic flying insects were hard-wired to an external power source because the electronics needed to power and control their wings were much too heavy.
  • The engineers say these robo-insects are cheap to produce and can slip into tight spaces, enabling them to handle tasks the large aerial drones can't.
Full story at site with video

The perfect spy , anctual fly on the wall!

I already think drones are becoming an issue don't get me wrong they are neat but I still think the applications for the tech could potentially ripe for abuse overall

Reactions: 7Critter
I already think drones are becoming an issue don't get me wrong they are neat but I still think the applications for the tech could potentially ripe for abuse overall
Ya just know it’s for spying. Although I can think of places we’d like to see but can’t fit a drone. How about down those tight chambers in the great phromid? Or into tight caves? I think a tiny camera in the right hands could be really effective to gain knowledge where humans can’t go.

Reactions: Paulm and 7Critter
From the article

Capture+_2018-11-08-08-38-50.png

"micromechanical flying insect"