Reviews

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I'm constantly being asked to do a product or book review by Amazon, Walmart, etc.
First, do you read these reviews?
Second, do you write any reviews? Mostly good, or bad ones?
And third, how much do these influence you in your own purchases?

I usually read reviews about a product that I am considering purchasing. I always read the one or two star ones first, and decide if the complaints are legitimate, or are they more about someone not understanding how something is supposed to work. If something really pleases me, I will write a review. If it doesn't and if I am annoyed enough, I will also write a review. (I don't like being pestered to write a review about everything I buy, though.)

If I am thinking of buying a big ticket item, I will visit reputable review websites to read about it first.

I do read reviews on products. I bought a bottom of the range ride on mower years ago as was all I could afford, it had terrible reviews. I had the mower 10 years and never had a problem and sold it still running great. I don't write reviews. They did influence me but they seem to be written mostly by people who have had problems with products.

I've written reviews more for books than products, but have done both. I've also written reviews on travel sites for resorts, restaurants, attractions, etc.

I do read reviews of most products I'm considering buying, but have learned to take them with a grain of salt be they good or bad. Seldom do reviews sway me either way, but it has happened.

I do at present but in the past, I'd buy something on a whim. When I was in my 20's, I bought a Sony Ericsson Flip phone from Amazon of all places at a cost of a single cent. Must have been an impulse buy but Lo and behold - it fell apart shortly after I bought it. After that, I never ignored any further reviews again :p

I'm constantly being asked to do a product or book review by Amazon, Walmart, etc.
First, do you read these reviews?
Second, do you write any reviews? Mostly good, or bad ones?
And third, how much do these influence you in your own purchases?

I rarely read reviews until someone upsets me and I go to their website to post an angry review. Once a veteranarian treated my mother and her dog very badly so I went to Yelp and put up a review. At the time there were only 4 reviews that said essentially the same thing I did (angry reviews like mine). Then the next day I got an email from Yelp that the business owner had responded to my review. I went to the page and there were suddenly over 30 positive reivews. I read them and they were obviously written by the same person having her relatives and friends copy past the review. The answer from the Vet was nonsense. That's when I realized Yelp is not the best place to look at reviews or leave them.

Since then I have not reviewed anything but a doctor did upset me and I left a review on his business website.

i read reviews on a lot of things im considering buying, wade through the ones where people just dont understand what they are doing, or minor stuff and see if i then feel its a good deal or worth the possible "adjustments' that will need to be made, etc.... if you give reviews regularly to walmart they will soon invite you to join the secret walmart club. (customer spark club) its an invite only thing where you can get "points" that are redeemable via gift card or something.....

i read reviews on a lot of things im considering buying, wade through the ones where people just dont understand what they are doing, or minor stuff and see if i then feel its a good deal or worth the possible "adjustments' that will need to be made, etc.... if you give reviews regularly to walmart they will soon invite you to join the secret walmart club. (customer spark club) its an invite only thing where you can get "points" that are redeemable via gift card or something.....
Hmmm....maybe I should start doing those How was your Pick up today reviews...lol

Reactions: Selectric and Paulm
I started reviewing locations on Google Maps last year and have a handful of followers. I have left quite a few Amazon reviews under a nom-de-plume. I read reviews but honestly they probably serve to mostly reinforce a positive or negative gut feel, rather than sway me.

I don't really read any reviews unless it is a 'big ticket' item. Most of the time i go with my gut (whether right or wrong lol). I will seek advice more from people i know first before diving in.

Reactions: Paulm