Reality doesn't exist until looked at

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/new...ms-reality-doesnt-exist-until-measured-698868

A new quantum physics experiment has confirmed the idea that reality doesn't exist until it is measured.
The mind-bending concept, which implies that the universe stops existing if we don't look at it, seems to have been confirmed thanks to physicists at The Australian National University.

To accomplish this the scientists carried out John Wheeler's delayed-choice thought experiment which involves giving a moving object the option of behaving like either a particle or a wave.

It stands to reason that the object is intrinsically one or the other no matter the circumstances, but according to quantum physics the object will demonstrate either wave-like or particle-like behavior based solely on how it is measured once it reaches its destination.

The experiment centers around working out at what point the object decides which it is going to be.

"It proves that measurement is everything," said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott. "At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it."

To carry out the experiment the team used helium atoms scattered one at a time by a laser.

"If one chooses to believe that the atom really did take a particular path or paths then one has to accept that a future measurement is affecting the atom's past," said Truscott.

"The atoms did not travel from A to B - it was only when they were measured at the end of the journey that their wave-like or particle-like behavior was brought into existence."

So if a tree falls in a forest...it really doesn't make a sound?

again,humans thinking they are smart...........eat a large dinner at Taco Bell and tell me the horrifying aftermath did not happen because it was not being tracked........ok, less disgusting..........trees take in dioxide and produce oxygen......if we do not measure it, it did not happen. Not quantum physics level, just common sense level............the helium atoms were minding their own business when they scattered them with a laser.....their reality before the experiment was stagnant until their reality was disturbed by the laser and gave them a new reality that someone measured.......
brilliant.jpg

again,humans thinking they are smart...........eat a large dinner at Taco Bell and tell me the horrifying aftermath did not happen because it was not being tracked........ok, less disgusting..........trees take in dioxide and produce oxygen......if we do not measure it, it did not happen. Not quantum physics level, just common sense level............the helium atoms were minding their own business when they scattered them with a laser.....their reality before the experiment was stagnant until their reality was disturbed by the laser and gave them a new reality that someone measured.......
View attachment 1338
OK...that's it....brain just blew. I'm off to bed!

Reactions: sal
We studied this in philosophy class. Something like if you go into the kitchen and see your refrigerator against the wall, did it still exist before you came in the room and will it still exist after you leave the room? Just because for 99 days in a row, you woke up and went into the kitchen and saw it, on that 100th day it might not be there.

My problem with "reality does not exist if you are not looking at it" is that you can prove something exists without looking at it. In the example of the refrigerator, a simple video camera can prove it does continue to exist even when it is not observed first hand. This can be done in the moment, or even over time. Same with Nekki's tree. The age old question of does it make a sound is not just a philosophical question, as it too can be monitored remotely to prove it still makes a sound if no one is present.

Reactions: sal and surge
This is just another take on Schrödinger's cat. I'm not really sure why this is still being debated...
I also think this a retake ... another being which way is the particle spinning ....but will read the article and review

On a related topic, you may want to check this out. Yes, the first minute is kinda goofy, but it does a good explaining the double slit experiment.

Reactions: Debi
On a related topic, you may want to check this out. Yes, the first minute is kinda goofy, but it does a good explaining the double slit experiment.

I've seen this one before.....it does a good job of explaining it!