Psych says possession is real

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Demonic possession is real and victims seeking exorcism should not be ignored': Prominent psychiatrist on the world beyond

It is a phenomenon that is on the rise throughout the world: The number of cases of demonic possession - and demands for priests to carry out exorcisms - is, according to multiple sources, soaring.

Medical science remains sceptical. However, a Princeton-and-Yale-educated mainstream psychiatrist believes demonic possession is indeed very real - and claims that the majority of Americans agree with him.

With 25 years experience in a private psychiatric practice and as a professor at New York Medical College and Columbia University, Dr Richard Gallagher has a rare vantage point to observe human behavior. And then there is the inhuman.

Gallagher

He is also a sought-after psychiatrist for discernment, the initial step in determining the need for exorcism. Dr Gallagher has evaluated hundreds of cases of possible possession and, in a wide-ranging and rare interview with the Telegraph, explains why he believes the phenomenon is genuine.

Full story at site

Interesting read. After reading this, some questions came to mind...

I’ve read that arranging an exorcism by the Church is a process that involves red tape (for lack of a more appropriate term coming to mind right now), where there has to be sufficient evidence of a possession as opposed to mental illness etc. I’ve also seen the exorcism process carried out in movies or dramatisation (Unsolved Mysteries style) and admitting my ignorance in the matter, it doesn’t look all that complicated (in terms of the motions they go through, of course I can’t say anything about the spiritual aspects behind the scenes). So my questions are:

1. What type of evidence is required to warrant an exorcism?
2. Why don’t they just go through the rituals to “check” if there is possession or not?
3. The prayers they recite seem to be the same ones all the time...Could an average person not get the same results with the same prayers etc?

Interesting read. After reading this, some questions came to mind...

I’ve read that arranging an exorcism by the Church is a process that involves red tape (for lack of a more appropriate term coming to mind right now), where there has to be sufficient evidence of a possession as opposed to mental illness etc. I’ve also seen the exorcism process carried out in movies or dramatisation (Unsolved Mysteries style) and admitting my ignorance in the matter, it doesn’t look all that complicated (in terms of the motions they go through, of course I can’t say anything about the spiritual aspects behind the scenes). So my questions are:

1. What type of evidence is required to warrant an exorcism?
2. Why don’t they just go through the rituals to “check” if there is possession or not?
3. The prayers they recite seem to be the same ones all the time...Could an average person not get the same results with the same prayers etc?
I need to talk to our Catholic expert on this or somehow find the post he did regarding this in the past. There are reasons for each thing you question there, but I want to get you the right answers. I'll see what I can dig up for you, Edge.

Reactions: Soul Edge
As we wait for exact answers regarding this I will add that there is WAY more to this process than saying a few prayers over someone. The priest has to go through a personal prep period of fasting and prayer. It is arduous and not taken lightly. If a priest is not spiritually prepared it is a real danger for them. So whatever their criteria is, it is there to protect both parties and saving the priest for those who are in true need.

Reactions: Aces and Soul Edge
As we wait for exact answers regarding this I will add that there is WAY more to this process than saying a few prayers over someone. The priest has to go through a personal prep period of fasting and prayer. It is arduous and not taken lightly. If a priest is not spiritually prepared it is a real danger for them. So whatever their criteria is, it is there to protect both parties and saving the priest for those who are in true need.

Thanks for the explanation. What I would be interested to know is how do they determine if someone is really in need of exorcism over something else? And very generally speaking, do the cases that don’t “qualify” end up being mostly mental illness? Superstition? Something else?

Thanks for the explanation. What I would be interested to know is how do they determine if someone is really in need of exorcism over something else? And very generally speaking, do the cases that don’t “qualify” end up being mostly mental illness? Superstition? Something else?
Edge, one of the things they look for is signs of a real possession vs. mental illness. Sometimes it can actually be a mix of the two. However, most priests can discern this with a few tests...one of which is a holy water test. They normally carry two vials of water...one holy, one not. If a person reacts to the not holy water as if it is, that is a pretty sure sign it's more phsycological than demonic.

I have a friend who studies in this area, he says although it seems pretty cut & dry, it's actually a long process like Lynne stated, the priest has to be prepared before ever attempting to perform the exorcism & their prayers aren't just prayers. There is a lot of intent sent with them & if for some reason the priest isn't properly prepared then his faith can falter from the events that occurs during the exorcism which puts everyone involved at risk of harm if not death. That's about all he could share because he doesn't know exactly who / or what actually makes the determination on if a exorcism will be performed. But I think Debi is right about the Holy water.

Reactions: Soul Edge
Edge, one of the things they look for is signs of a real possession vs. mental illness. Sometimes it can actually be a mix of the two. However, most priests can discern this with a few tests...one of which is a holy water test. They normally carry two vials of water...one holy, one not. If a person reacts to the not holy water as if it is, that is a pretty sure sign it's more phsycological than demonic.
That sounds a lot like the milk test I did with my friend.

Reactions: Debi
I have a friend who studies in this area, he says although it seems pretty cut & dry, it's actually a long process like Lynne stated, the priest has to be prepared before ever attempting to perform the exorcism & their prayers aren't just prayers. There is a lot of intent sent with them & if for some reason the priest isn't properly prepared then his faith can falter from the events that occurs during the exorcism which puts everyone involved at risk of harm if not death. That's about all he could share because he doesn't know exactly who / or what actually makes the determination on if a exorcism will be performed. But I think Debi is right about the Holy water.

So what type of preparation is involved? And what could happen if an exorcism were attempted on a case that is actually psychological in nature as opposed to demonic/spiritual?

From the Islamic method of exorcism (or rather a method thereof), the exorcist has to perform rituals for protection and is pretty much doing it on a continuous basis. So it’s not like he has to do a separate one for each case. So let’s say he’s doing exorcism for 3 different people, a single ritual is enough for his protection. Since it is done on a somewhat continuous basis, he doesn’t need to separately prepare for each one.

Reactions: 7Critter
I think the main requirement for an exorcist would be a very close, deep & comfortable/non-dramatic & very grounded relationship with God.

A priest under stress or pressures or who sort of has done more redundant chanting as a substitute for quiet, calm deep faith would be at great risk.

I saw a drama-documentary once on an Italian priest who specialized in exorcisms. He supposedly was a real guy though. His technique was very nonchalant. He’d done so many exorcisms that he knew the demon’s tricks. He taught other priests how to do it. Possessed people would foam at the mouth & scream & the priest was all like “yeah, whatever”...*splash*. On went the holy water. The subject would writhe in agony. I think at one point he even had to take a call on his cellphone & walked out into the hall for a minute.

Reactions: 7Critter