Project Blue Book Review

I watched the first episode of this series tonight. It was based very loosely on a real UFO encounter over Fargo, ND in 1948 involving a NDANG P-51Mustang flown by WWII combat veteran fighter pilot. The script took a lot of liberties with what really happened/was reported. For example the pilot did not fire on the UFO, nor did his a/c sustain the physical damage shown in the program. There is also "men in black" fictional elements of the series added apparently to appeal to the conspiracy types. Doubt I will watch additional episodes.

Last edited:
I watched the first episode of this series tonight. It was based very loosely on a real UFO encounter over Fargo, ND in 1948 involving a NDANG P-51Mustang flown by WWII combat veteran fighter pilot. The script took a lot of liberties with what really happened/was reported. For example the pilot did not fire on the UFO, nor did his a/c sustain the physical damage shown in the program. There is also "men in black" fictional element of the series added apparently to appeal to the conspiracy types. Doubt I will watch additional episodes.
I thought it was fairly entertaining, creative liberties were taken of course to enhance the idea but that is T.V..... The men in black and the whole ( possible) Russian spy idea lends to the mood and is a way a throwback to the original 70's series this was born from....project UFO I think it was called....i will give it a few more episodes to see how it goes before making a final decision.

Reactions: Debi
Sure, it's fictional drama hiding behind factual events. If it continues in this vein, however, it is a far cry from Jack Webb's "Project UFO" of the 70s. That series played it pretty close to the vest relative to what happened in the cases presented, like "Dragnet" the stories were true but the names (and usually locations/dates) were changed to "protect the innocent." Not saying some liberties were not taken, but nothing to the extent I saw on PBB's first episode.

Anyone who grew up watching Dragnet/Adam 12/Emergency would have instantly recognized the Webb formulaic approach to the show, complete with attempts at deadpan humor and reasonable accuracy in depicting the series' characters doing their jobs. Also noticeable were many of the actors who formed Webb's repertory company and played multiple roles across his various series. One casting quirk was that of Edward Winter in a lead role as the courteous, level headed officer (captain) in charge of Blue Book for the show's second season. At the time Winter had a reoccurring role on "MASH" as the paranoid, over-the-top intelligence officer, Colonel Flagg! I did find it odd "Project UFO" received almost no mention in the official Jack Webb biography approved by his family.

Reactions: Paulm and Debi

Attachments

• graybarker.jpg
    graybarker.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: Debi
I watched the whole series I enjoyed it. They did put alot of stuff in for the skeptics and conspiracy people. I myself had encounters. But I will keep watching it, it is entertaining