Preparedness and Survival Skills

Some of the pilots in my unit used to talk about SERE school, apparently it was the one course none would ever want to go through again. I heard "horror" stories about how hard it was and some guys said it still gave them nightmares. Of course 20 year old me saw this as a challenge and was actually disappointed that I couldn't go through it myself. My job was basically "tech support" so there was no justifiable reason to send someone who would never actually be out in the field like that. Instead I had to make due with the FM 21-76 and the instruction from leaders who didn't really know what they were doing themselves.

We had one guy who got lost on a field exercise and when he radioed for help gave his location as "Do see that plane in the sky? It flying over me right...... Now!" Another guy, this time a lieutenant, cost me to lose my Expert Marksmanship because he decided that his driver should get a chance to qualify even though he wasn't scheduled for the range and didn't have an assigned weapon on site. The lieutenant just gave him a random weapon to use, which happened to be mine. So I zeroed my sights, then unbeknownst to me the driver adjusted them for himself. When I went to qualify I couldn't hit anything because the sights were way off. When I discovered what had happened I confronted the lieutenant who seemingly had no concept of how and why weapon sights needed to be adjusted, he said it didn't matter to him because he was a Conscientious Objector. Then there was the sergeant that was going to teach us how to start a fire with no matches. He started by gathering some kindling and then started disassembling a flashlight. I thought we were about to get some cool MacGyver like instructions, but instead he took the reflective cone front around the bulb, placed it over the kindling and put his cigarette through the hole for the bulb explaining that the reflective cone was both shielding the cigarette from wind or rain and also concentrating the heat from the cigarette. He asked if there were any questions and I piped up with "If you don't have matches or a lighter to start a fire, how do light the cigarette?" I just got yelled at and threatened with disciplinary action for insubordination.

Some of the pilots in my unit used to talk about SERE school, apparently it was the one course none would ever want to go through again. I heard "horror" stories about how hard it was and some guys said it still gave them nightmares. Of course 20 year old me saw this as a challenge and was actually disappointed that I couldn't go through it myself. My job was basically "tech support" so there was no justifiable reason to send someone who would never actually be out in the field like that. Instead I had to make due with the FM 21-76 and the instruction from leaders who didn't really know what they were doing themselves.

We had one guy who got lost on a field exercise and when he radioed for help gave his location as "Do see that plane in the sky? It flying over me right...... Now!" Another guy, this time a lieutenant, cost me to lose my Expert Marksmanship because he decided that his driver should get a chance to qualify even though he wasn't scheduled for the range and didn't have an assigned weapon on site. The lieutenant just gave him a random weapon to use, which happened to be mine. So I zeroed my sights, then unbeknownst to me the driver adjusted them for himself. When I went to qualify I couldn't hit anything because the sights were way off. When I discovered what had happened I confronted the lieutenant who seemingly had no concept of how and why weapon sights needed to be adjusted, he said it didn't matter to him because he was a Conscientious Objector. Then there was the sergeant that was going to teach us how to start a fire with no matches. He started by gathering some kindling and then started disassembling a flashlight. I thought we were about to get some cool MacGyver like instructions, but instead he took the reflective cone front around the bulb, placed it over the kindling and put his cigarette through the hole for the bulb explaining that the reflective cone was both shielding the cigarette from wind or rain and also concentrating the heat from the cigarette. He asked if there were any questions and I piped up with "If you don't have matches or a lighter to start a fire, how do light the cigarette?" I just got yelled at and threatened with disciplinary action for insubordination.
Government run agencies are full of these type stories. You did give me a giggle about your fire response, it was perfect.

Reactions: K9-1 and Stevedog

They were not kind to us at all during training. We were beat,put in cement cells with no windows. The cells were cold dark and wet and to short to lay down in and not tall enough to stand up in. Alot of guys quit at this point. Basically when the door to the cell opened you didn't know if they were gonna feed you,beat you,or take you for interrogation. I had a broken nose and 2 broken ribs and 3 cracked ribs and several broken fingers. I decided I was just gonna fight every chance I got....lol! Oh! And we are stripped naked and kept cold,hungry, and wet .......good times.

They were not kind to us at all during training. We were beat,put in cement cells with no windows. The cells were cold dark and wet and to short to lay down in and not tall enough to stand up in. Alot of guys quit at this point. Basically when the door to the cell opened you didn't know if they were gonna feed you,beat you,or take you for interrogation. I had a broken nose and 2 broken ribs and 3 cracked ribs and several broken fingers. I decided I was just gonna fight every chance I got....lol! Oh! And we are stripped naked and kept cold,hungry, and wet .......good times.
What is the reason for this, to prepare you for capture by the enemy. I had no idea this type of training was allowed. This sounds like going too far to me.

Reactions: Stevedog
What is the reason for this, to prepare you for capture by the enemy. I had no idea this type of training was allowed. This sounds like going too far to me.

Pretty much. The main plan is don't get caught....lol.
It's 100% volunteers and you can quit at anytime. The training is done in several different locations for us. It tough, but it's all done to keep you alive.

Reactions: Lynne
Pretty much. The main plan is don't get caught....lol.
It's 100% volunteers and you can quit at anytime. The training is done in several different locations for us. It tough, but it's all done to keep you alive.
Wow, I had no idea it was that severe.

Reactions: Stevedog
Wow, I had no idea it was that severe.

I'm sure the programs have changed some. You actually learn alot about yourself going through tough training. Alot of its mental...staying calm,ignoring unpleasant conditions, ect.
Then once you're done the respect and going out for beers with everyone including the instructors. They're hard on you because they want you to come home.

Reactions: Lynne and Stevedog
I'm sure the programs have changed some. You actually learn alot about yourself going through tough training. Alot of its mental...staying calm,ignoring unpleasant conditions, ect.
Then once you're done the respect and going out for beers with everyone including the instructors. They're hard on you because they want you to come home.
K-9, what was your affiliation going through these schools, military or civilian contractor?