Reaction score
Rocks Under I-95 Present Odd, and Scary, Threat to Power Grid

Rocks Under I-95 Present Odd, and Scary, Threat to Power Grid
By
Brian K Sullivan
June 13, 2018, 7:00 AM EDT
  • Geology under Northeast U.S. could amplify solar storms
  • Geomagnetic storm once knocked out Quebec power grid for hours
Here’s something you probably didn’t know you needed to worry about: There’s a layer of 300 million-year-old rock under Interstate 95 that’s capable of killing the lights from Washington to Boston and beyond the next time the sun erupts in all its fury.

Sound far-fetched? Perhaps. But not to scientists. A solar storm is now viewed as enough of a risk in fact that grid operators across North America are working on plans to respond to just such a disturbance. And a draft of a soon-to-be-published U.S. Geological Survey report pinpoints the Eastern Seaboard as one of the areas most in danger.

That’s because this Paleozoic-era rock doesn’t let the energy from a major geomagnetic storm -- a once-in-a-100-years kind of event -- pass through it but instead acts as a backstop that sends the surge back up above the ground for a second shot at causing mayhem.

“It’s an active problem that a lot of people are trying to solve and understand,” said Christopher Balch, space scientist at the Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Full story at site

Through a stroke of bad luck, the worst of these rocks basically traces the path of I-95 from Richmond, Virginia, to Portland, Maine, passing through Washington, New York and Boston along the way.

Reactions: Charleh
I can’t even think about this!! This EMP threat is so real and terrifying. I wish we’d get about hardening the grid.

Reactions: NobleHouse