Pet Names

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
People give their pets names, some unusual or offbeat, for any number of reasons. Some are descriptive, others sentimental, or just silly.

What's the most interesting name you or someone you know has given a pet and why?

Yea, like mine, Biscuit. Lol
Pork Chop was an abandoned woods kitten. His Mom and brothers & sisters were gone. We were out in the woods shooting bb guns, and doing Lewis & Clark. Little kitten comes up and we share our sandwiches with him .
"He likes porkchops !" Said Nancy, ( who is now a Purdue professor. )
I took him home, hid him in the basement, Dad knew, then submitted.
Lived 21 happy healthy years and a local legend amongst the hunting gang. But one of the most magnificent hunters ever. We had an annual trip to central illinois to hunt pheasants.

Guy would shoot too many, be pushy.

"Stop being a Pork Chop."

had a kitten / cat named french fry, found her in a krystal's parking lot hiding under the truck when we came out, had to lure her out with french fries..
a dog named omelet another named wilbur...... and many, many, many, more....lol

I had a very tiny chocolate brown long haired Chihuahua. She was just a tiny applehead when I got her, and I took her to visit the residents in my long term care unit. One little lady there named Gracie just fell in love with her. Gracie was a very tiny patient, about 4'4" max and very frail. It was in that moment when Gracie was hugging my new little pup that I named her after that patient. From then on, Gracie had a date with her namesake Grace the pup every week. Gracie had a private room so I was able to take her and leave her in the room and work, and pick her up at the end of the shift. She'd curl up and sleep right next to her. It was a true love affair between the two.

I had a dog who proved to be a whirlwind of chaos. Living in New Mexico at the time we na.ed her after the nuclear weapons test site, Trinity. A short while later we got a rescue from the pound, he was some sort of Eskimo mix, very fluffy but also deep yellow, almost orange. I suggested Twinkie since he was sweet, fluffy, and yellow plus we didn't know what he was made of. But my wife was worried about calling him Twink for short, didn't think that name would be popular. Being part Eskimo dog she named him after her favorite ice cream, Neapolitan. For short we just called him Neo. It wasn't intentional but everyone just assumed we named our dogs Neo and Trinity after the Matrix movies.

We also had 2 springer spaniels named Daisy and Winchester, a BB gun and rifle as they were hunting breeds.

Currently we have a calico cat who was brought into the vet clinic where my wife was working at the time. She was a stray that got hit by car right in front of the clinic so another motorist who saw it happen brought her in for care. This brought up the awkward conversation over who exactly was paying for treatment since this wasn't anybodys cat. My wife stepped up and we wound up paying for the care and bringing her home. That cat is named Splat, because she was just a splat on the road before becoming our cat.

The tortoise shell cat we have, we'll the kids came up with the name and my wife thought it was perfect for this cats attitude. Her name is Luci, short for Luci Fur.

I had a beautiful Tortie when I was about twelve, and she had an interesting face; looked like two halves of a mask, so I named her Gemini! Another cat, also a Tortie, was named Calico but she came with that name. A neighbor gave her to my daughter as a Christmas present. I've had so many cats, all with different personalities and names. I also remember two Burmese sisters, with lovely golden brown fur, and they were named Coco and Pepsi.

I had a very tiny chocolate brown long haired Chihuahua. She was just a tiny applehead when I got her, and I took her to visit the residents in my long term care unit. One little lady there named Gracie just fell in love with her. Gracie was a very tiny patient, about 4'4" max and very frail. It was in that moment when Gracie was hugging my new little pup that I named her after that patient. From then on, Gracie had a date with her namesake Grace the pup every week. Gracie had a private room so I was able to take her and leave her in the room and work, and pick her up at the end of the shift. She'd curl up and sleep right next to her. It was a true love affair between the two.
What a beautiful story Debi, I love it. Dogs and cats are a gift from God to help us get through the tough times in life.

I have had so many different pets over the years at one point I just named them after their type. We had kitty, Birdie, fishy, lamby, youi get the idea. I have slowed down with the pets and now give them sensible names.