Paratrooper caught in tree

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Little accident near me last night!

A paratrooper was taken to a hospital in good condition to be checked out after they got stuck in a tree Friday evening at Camp Atterbury.
(
1f4f8.png
: Bargersville Fire Department)

1615055360399.png
1615055463670.png

• Wow
Reactions: Malaria_Kidd IV
Combat aircrew, when flying over heavily wooded areas like Vietnam in the 60-70s, wear a piece of kit called a personal lowering device, or PLD. It includes a couple hundred feet of webbing and a pulley system to allow aircrew stuck in a tree to lower themselves to the ground. Apparently paratroopers don't wear them, or at least this one didn't.

Combat aircrew, when flying over heavily wooded areas like Vietnam in the 60-70s, wear a piece of kit called a personal lowering device, or PLD. It includes a couple hundred feet of webbing and a pulley system to allow aircrew stuck in a tree to lower themselves to the ground. Apparently paratroopers don't wear them, or at least this one didn't.
The fire department that did the rescue happens to be all volunteer, however, they had one thing over all the others that they could have brought in....a former paratrooper. Otherwise the poor guy would probably still be hanging from that tree...lol

Wow! A good thing to have. Duke did you ever parachute ?

*lol* No, I'm not even crazy about flying.
I used to work for a company that also owned a small rural airport. The owners son ran jumpers out of there and they were always offering to take me up. I never took them up on the offer. I don’t mind heights but that’s a lot !

• Haha
Oh mercy sakes he lived to tell his story Debi! But this news did not make it to Evansville. Bummer! Thanks Debi!

3 years ago my rural Vincennes friend, a 22 year veteran with the AA 82nd Airborne Division, was leaving the woods after deer hunting near Shoals, Indiana. He heard a faint "Help!" off in the distance.

Quickly responding in that direction he found a Bloomington man hanging from a tree stand held only by his fall safe harness. Some way the victims breathing was compromised.

My friend called for rescue and before they arrived by four wheeler. He used his climbing portable tree stand and his hard earned paratrooper skills to save the fall victim's life. According to the ER doctors he was just minutes away from being too weak to breathe having two broken ribs!

My friend visited him later on in a Bloomington hospital and got a huge welcome and praise from the survivors family!

MK IV ∆=⚾

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi