Nacho Cheese flavored liquor from Doritos

I'm not sure what she paid for it. It's not really my kind of thing to drink but both my sisters seemed to enjoy it.

I confess that I'm a bit of a whiskey snob so I tend to get the more expensive stuff for myself, though there are some cheaper bottles which still deliver great taste. I'm sure you have seen the wine connoisseurs who hold the glass up to the light and smell the wine before taking a small sip. Well a lot of what they are doing can be done with whiskey as well. I'm not quite that extreme but I do like to smell and sip the whiskey while picking out the unique flavors. Spend a few days drinking whiskey with me and you'll never look at a bottle the same way ever again.
What is your favorite ?

I saw those hard Mtn Dews at the store and at first I was horrified. However, upon closer inspection I see that they have absolutely no caffeine. A part of me was actually disappointed, is that wrong?
no cause its what its known for lol so im glad that was removed cause dayum lol

What is your favorite ?
That's tough. It depends on my mood and sometimes I go through phases where I'm in the mood for one particular brand. In general I prefer bourbon though. Every bourbon is whiskey but not every whiskey is bourbon; and neither one is whisky.

What I can do is give you a brief description of my liquor cabinet since it's like 60%-75% whiskey.

I always have some Redbreast Irish Whisky, which is good but kinda pricey so I also get some Jameson or Bushmills for when someone wants a mixed drink, do shots or some other purpose that doesn't require top shelf stuff.

I have some Four Roses Kentucky Bourbon which was my goto drink this past summer. It's not exactly cheap, especially the Small Batch or Single Barrel but it's got a good complex flavor. The company that makes Four Roses also makes a brand called Bulliet which I also like both their bourbon and rye. It's not as good as the Four Roses but it more affordable and has an almost "rustic" quality.

Being in Colorado there are a lot of distilleries here, in fact there is a small one literally a mile from my house. One of the bigger names though is a company called Stranahans who make a good, but also pricey, whiskey. Over the years a few of their employees have left and started their own companies. One is called Tincup that's fairly light and inexpensive, however they aren't so much a distillery as they get their whiskey from out of State, Indiana I believe, then add some Colorado mountain stream water to give it the desired flavor and proof. Not bad and I do have some because it's good for parties, people especially like that every bottle comes with its own tin shotglass. Another ex-Stranahans guy did make his own distillery called Laws. I was able to visit that distillery years ago and got a bottle that was marked as being from barrel #3. It's good but not quite a "beginner whiskey" as it has some bite to it. It's also a bit pricey.

Outside of these I usually have a bottle of Jack Daniel's, I do treat myself to Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel on occasion, and one or more of Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey, Makers Mark, Wyoming Whiskey or whatever else happens to catch my eye at the liquor store. There are all kinds of small batch distilleries that are basically unknown outside of their region so I like to pick up something new from time to time which has had varying results.

Reactions: Lynne
That's tough. It depends on my mood and sometimes I go through phases where I'm in the mood for one particular brand. In general I prefer bourbon though. Every bourbon is whiskey but not every whiskey is bourbon; and neither one is whisky.

What I can do is give you a brief description of my liquor cabinet since it's like 60%-75% whiskey.

I always have some Redbreast Irish Whisky, which is good but kinda pricey so I also get some Jameson or Bushmills for when someone wants a mixed drink, do shots or some other purpose that doesn't require top shelf stuff.

I have some Four Roses Kentucky Bourbon which was my goto drink this past summer. It's not exactly cheap, especially the Small Batch or Single Barrel but it's got a good complex flavor. The company that makes Four Roses also makes a brand called Bulliet which I also like both their bourbon and rye. It's not as good as the Four Roses but it more affordable and has an almost "rustic" quality.

Being in Colorado there are a lot of distilleries here, in fact there is a small one literally a mile from my house. One of the bigger names though is a company called Stranahans who make a good, but also pricey, whiskey. Over the years a few of their employees have left and started their own companies. One is called Tincup that's fairly light and inexpensive, however they aren't so much a distillery as they get their whiskey from out of State, Indiana I believe, then add some Colorado mountain stream water to give it the desired flavor and proof. Not bad and I do have some because it's good for parties, people especially like that every bottle comes with its own tin shotglass. Another ex-Stranahans guy did make his own distillery called Laws. I was able to visit that distillery years ago and got a bottle that was marked as being from barrel #3. It's good but not quite a "beginner whiskey" as it has some bite to it. It's also a bit pricey.

Outside of these I usually have a bottle of Jack Daniel's, I do treat myself to Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel on occasion, and one or more of Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey, Makers Mark, Wyoming Whiskey or whatever else happens to catch my eye at the liquor store. There are all kinds of small batch distilleries that are basically unknown outside of their region so I like to pick up something new from time to time which has had varying results.
I think I need to come visit you lol. So....if you could only pick one, regardless of price which one is the best? in your opinion of course.

I think I need to come visit you lol. So....if you could only pick one, regardless of price which one is the best? in your opinion of course.
I would say that picking a Small Batch or Single Barrel is going to be best regardless of brand. Depending on the liquor store you might get some good recommendations from the staff or even the store owner themselves. If they don't have any recommendations (maybe they don't like whiskey "only work here") then I'd say you can't go wrong with Four Roses, Old Forrester or Henry McKenna. Knob Creek, Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace are also good. It's going to depend on what your local store carries.

Most commercial whiskey is blended whiskey to achieve a uniform flavor across all bottles. This is because different barrels can have a different flavor even when filled from the exact same distillation. Whiskey barrels are made from white oak, but the trees aren't uniform and the individual slats that makeup the barrel are going to impart different flavors. For example, let's say that an oak tree had some wild lavender growing at its base, the lavender roots could have come in contact with the tree roots along with rain water runoff from the flowers seeping into the soil and picked up by the tree roots. Even if the lavender is later removed the period of time it was there is going to still affect the tree. If sections of lavender infused wood are made into a whiskey barrel then that particular barrel can have lavender in its flavor profile while the next barrel may not.

Beyond this the aging process also affects flavor. The barrels are stored in warehouses for years, which means they experience all 4 seasons a few times each, which also has an impact if there happens to be an exceptionally warm/cold dry/wet year or season. Finally the layout of how the barrels are stored and where they are in relation to the doors and windows is going to affect the whiskey due to temperature, airflow, humidity and other local environmental influences. If you go to a distillery and ask one of the old timers there, they can tell you which barrels are going to be the best because they are stored in just the right spot within the warehouse.

So each individual barrel of whiskey is unique, no two barrels are ever going to be exactly the same. Big whiskey companies try to mitigate this by mixing lots of barrels together before bottling. Smaller craft distilleries lean into this by either only mixing barrels that were made from the same mash and aged next to each other in the same part of the warehouse (Small Batch) or simply not mixing barrels at all (Single Barrel). This means that you could buy two or three Single Barrel bottles of the exact same brand and the flavor can be different from one bottle to the next.

So any decent Small Batch/Single Barrel, it doesn't need to be a mainstream popular mega brand (and in fact might actually be better if it isn't) is going to give you a unique flavor that only a handful of people on the entire planet are going to experience.

Then before you take that first sip hold the open bottle by your chin, close your eyes and think about how it smells. Get a bit of whiskey on your index and middle finger or in your palm and rub it with your thumb until it dries and the alcohol is evaporated and smell what's left, see if the smells are the same or if you pick up new aromas. You may smell bread, various fruits, honey, caramel, vanilla or any kind of flower. Now take a sip, hold it a bit and see if you can taste what you smelled before.

I would say that picking a Small Batch or Single Barrel is going to be best regardless of brand. Depending on the liquor store you might get some good recommendations from the staff or even the store owner themselves. If they don't have any recommendations (maybe they don't like whiskey "only work here") then I'd say you can't go wrong with Four Roses, Old Forrester or Henry McKenna. Knob Creek, Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace are also good. It's going to depend on what your local store carries.

Most commercial whiskey is blended whiskey to achieve a uniform flavor across all bottles. This is because different barrels can have a different flavor even when filled from the exact same distillation. Whiskey barrels are made from white oak, but the trees aren't uniform and the individual slats that makeup the barrel are going to impart different flavors. For example, let's say that an oak tree had some wild lavender growing at its base, the lavender roots could have come in contact with the tree roots along with rain water runoff from the flowers seeping into the soil and picked up by the tree roots. Even if the lavender is later removed the period of time it was there is going to still affect the tree. If sections of lavender infused wood are made into a whiskey barrel then that particular barrel can have lavender in its flavor profile while the next barrel may not.

Beyond this the aging process also affects flavor. The barrels are stored in warehouses for years, which means they experience all 4 seasons a few times each, which also has an impact if there happens to be an exceptionally warm/cold dry/wet year or season. Finally the layout of how the barrels are stored and where they are in relation to the doors and windows is going to affect the whiskey due to temperature, airflow, humidity and other local environmental influences. If you go to a distillery and ask one of the old timers there, they can tell you which barrels are going to be the best because they are stored in just the right spot within the warehouse.

So each individual barrel of whiskey is unique, no two barrels are ever going to be exactly the same. Big whiskey companies try to mitigate this by mixing lots of barrels together before bottling. Smaller craft distilleries lean into this by either only mixing barrels that were made from the same mash and aged next to each other in the same part of the warehouse (Small Batch) or simply not mixing barrels at all (Single Barrel). This means that you could buy two or three Single Barrel bottles of the exact same brand and the flavor can be different from one bottle to the next.

So any decent Small Batch/Single Barrel, it doesn't need to be a mainstream popular mega brand (and in fact might actually be better if it isn't) is going to give you a unique flavor that only a handful of people on the entire planet are going to experience.

Then before you take that first sip hold the open bottle by your chin, close your eyes and think about how it smells. Get a bit of whiskey on your index and middle finger or in your palm and rub it with your thumb until it dries and the alcohol is evaporated and smell what's left, see if the smells are the same or if you pick up new aromas. You may smell bread, various fruits, honey, caramel, vanilla or any kind of flower. Now take a sip, hold it a bit and see if you can taste what you smelled before.
I think this may be my favorite post of the year, you have taught me so much. Thank you for taking the time to teach those of us who didn't know about this a little something. I totally appreciate it. I will take your advice when trying a new bottle or if I visit a distillery. But now you really have to answer the big question, which bottle are you going to grab if you can only have one? Is there a name brand you like best?

But now you really have to answer the big question, which bottle are you going to grab if you can only have one? Is there a name brand you like best?
This is like asking which of my children is my favorite.

First I have to choose whether I picking a whiskey, whisky, bourbon or rye. (Oh yeah, I've not even mentioned rye whiskey this whole time, that's another genre of whiskey altogether!) And then choose one in just that category. You've put me on the spot and really made me think. I suppose if I were in a situation where I was going to have one final glass of whiskey, like a booze apocalypse or something, and I had to choose the final glass to go out on...

I'm thinking bourbon, Old Forester 1920, poured slowly over a single ice cube to slightly chill. That's something I can sit on a porch, savor and enjoy.

I was up late thinking about this question from another angle, what would be my go to "daily drinker", which is the one i grab more often than others. I think that's Bulliet. They have a bourbon and a rye, both of which I quite enjoy.

Last edited:
This is like asking which of my children is my favorite.

First I have to choose whether I picking a whiskey, whisky, bourbon or rye. (Oh yeah, I've not even mentioned rye whiskey this whole time, that's another genre of whiskey altogether!) And then choose one in just that category. You've put me on the spot and really made me think. I suppose if I were in a situation where I was going to have one final glass of whiskey, like a booze apocalypse or something, and I had to choose the final glass to go out on...

I'm thinking bourbon, Old Forester 1920, poured slowly over a single ice cube to slightly chill. That's something I can sit on a porch, savor and enjoy.

I was up late thinking about this question from another angle, what would be my go to "daily drinker", which is the one i grab more often than others. I think that's Bulliet. They have a bourbon and a rye, both of which I quite enjoy.
Thanks, I am going to go buy a bottle of Bullet, for my next purchase. This was a really great topic.