My Totally "Off - the - Wall" Colt League Baseball Game Saver Got A Big Hand From The Paranormal World In 1965!

I kind of agree with Gary Sheffield that the rule changes have made baseball less appealing. Hitters are giving a pass for striking out if they can hit home runs. Pitch counts and other limits put on pitchers....
I have always found small ball more appealing. The strategy, stolen bases, bunting (remember that?), hit & run....

And also like Gary Sheffield I don't want to come across as somebody complaining about the greatest game God ever created.

Malaria Kidd, great story. I posted an article somewhere in this thread about when Bill Veecke owned the White Sox the first time around. The team was very fast but could do little else. He had the groundskeepers grow the grass way up high to slow down the ball, and they actually shortened the bases by one foot. That way the fast Runners had a better chance of beating the tag out.

There's also another Thread about a baseball novel imagining that all of Bill Veecks crazy stunts happened in 1 season.
The End of Baseball " by Peter Schilling Junior.
The upshot is that when he owned the Philadelphia Athletics in the 1940s there was a contract that he had to put on a winning team. So he hired a Negro League All-Star team as his team. You get to learn a lot about these players and how they lived and what they went through. Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell are all in there.
We have Hall of Fame baseball writer here in Dayton who is very critical of the most recent rule changes, especially the extra innings format. I'd be willing to bet, however, the majority of players and managers really like the changes.

I've gotten a lot out of both of your knowledgeable input of baseballs history now and way back in time!

Thanks Duke and the Windy City's Paintman wrote this on page 1!

"Malaria Kidd, great story. I posted an article somewhere in this thread about when Bill Veecke owned the White Sox the first time around. The team was very fast but could do little else. He had the groundskeepers grow the grass way up high to slow down the ball, and they actually shortened the bases by one foot. That way the fast Runners had a better chance of beating the tag out."

Wow! What a difference in todays ball diamond's SOP's compared to baseballs yesteryears! What you two know about the old ball game I can't hold a lit candle to to add more.

In alt/weird news about baseball, that the Louisville Slugger Museum proclaimed to request a few years back, you can believe they got my qualifier!
:eek:
Their only response was, "We need witnesses." I replied that request was covered 100%, and that was it from L.S.M.:trophy:;th

FYI we hauled lots of white ash logs that filled three tiers 12 feet tall as semi trailer loads to their Larimer & Norton sawmill on US 68 west of Leitchfield, Kentucky. :darts: :gift: :cool:

In past years before it was sold to Slugger we trucked in very heavy persimmon logs to become the game of golf'$ wood driver #'s 1 - 5!

MK IV ∆=⚾

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintman
Here is a sad story about one of the greatest defensive lineman in American football.
Malaria, I got to visit the Louisville Slugger Woodshop and museum downtown during a day pass from Ft. Knox. Good times. I remember walking through the front door and seeing Babe Ruth's bat hanging on the wall. It was a behemoth, and I bet it smelled like beer and I saw mustard stains on it.

Oh and some of my friends had Louisville Slugger golf clubs in the 80's. When Woods were woods and made of Persimmon !

Reactions: 7Critter
Aww! The loss of Lou Gehrig of the New York Yankees is coming into mind thinking of Steve 'Mongo' McMichael's battle with ALS. I was not aware of his sad updated news Paintman. :(

Not a subscriber to the Times I clicked your linked report enough times to read all of it. I remember his great times on the field.:sleepy:

We began transporting high grade and veneer logs off road to the Interstates in 1983. I watched the persimmon blanks at three positions being lathe turned off the metal model at #1. It was high speed mesmerizing! :openmouth:

I was not knowledgeable of the fact that Louisville Slugger sold any golf clubs until now. Thanks Paintman!

The Babe's big bat is there? Wow! Mustard stains? I gotta go now to see it and hand deliver my action nullifying a Louisville Slugger's low line drive! Lol

MK IV ∆=⚾

Last edited:
the palm of his left hand to show me the red spot
That reminded me. As a pitcher, i once had a line drive hit back at me. It struck me on the thigh and you could see ball thread markings on my leg. Yeah, that hit smarted a bit, but we all laughed and kept playing. I was grateful that the ball hit my leg and not a few inches over. Yikes !

Ooh lucky 7Critter you! The sown seams threads left their mark? Totally wow my friend! Radar behind Home Plate tells us how fast a pitcher is throwing the baseball. But we can only guess the speeds of home runs, line drives and grounders.

Your thigh might have been hit by the ball going 110 to 130 mph to leave it's imprint like you described. It's anybody's guess 7Critter.:confounded::baseball::8ball:

During my first time ever pitching my 100% fast balls earned me 13 Little League strike outs! One close hot liner came towards my forehead but my Rawlings glove intercepted it!:eyes::gamedie::gamedie:

Thanks so much for the quote and we lost Jerry two years ago this past March.:sleepy:

MK IV ∆=⚾

my Rawlings glove intercepted it!
Its amazing how muscle memory kicks in. You react before you even think about what just happened. In fact if you try to think about what to do with the ball BEFORE you catch it, it sometimes has consequences. I received a broken nose one time from a screaming line drive. I played third base in an employee softball league. The instant that the ball was hit, I "thought" about doubling off the runner at first. The ball skimmed off my glove and hit my nose, breaking it. We were in a tournament. I came out of that game, but went into the next game. Later at the Doctor's office, I found out that the nose was broken. We let the swelling go down and scheduled surgery. Luckily my nose never swelled too much. The ball hit me in a good place, if that's possible.

Another "Wow" goes to 7Critter! That softball to your nose hurt my nose just now! Snooze we loose! Gotta concentrate and protect #1!

How I quoted my lines I haven't a clue! Lol

Shotgun shooting trap and skeet has similar outcomes. You miss the clay bird!:mad:
MK IV ∆=⚾

Last edited: