Mosquito trials linked to Zika?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2010/11/gm-mosquito-trial-strains-ties-gates-funded-project

Statement: "If these mosquitoes are completely safe, then why the hush-hush?"
Mr.Gates did say he was going to help solve the population problem.Don't get pregnant or your baby will be messed up seems like it will do the trick.... 18 of 26 areas they released these mosquitos are the hotspots for the Zika virus. I'm sure we will never know for sure but it doesn't look good at all.
___________________________________________________-

About a year ago, genetically modified (GM) mosquitoes were released into the wild—and they have been flying under the world's radar screen until last week. On 11 November, British company Oxitec announced that it carried out the world's first small outdoor trial with transgenic Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in the Caribbean island of Grand Cayman in the fall of 2009, followed by a larger study there last summer.
The trials were designed to test whether such designer mosquitoes could be successfully used to fight wild mosquitoes that transmit diseases like dengue fever. The announcement, made at a press briefing in London, has taken aback opponents of GM mosquitoes and surprised many researchers in the field of genetic control of insect vectors.
Some are questioning why the company stayed mum for so long, calling it a strategic mistake that provides critics of genetic modification with fresh ammunition. "I don't think they did themselves a favor," says Bart Knols, a medical entomologist at the University of Amsterdam. "This could well trigger a backlash."
More at Site

Zika and these genetically modified (GM) mosquitoes may or may not be related, but I don't approve all of the genetically modified experiments that are taking place.

Reactions: JoMama

Wonder if residents of favelas are at a higher risk? Cramped, unsanitary conditions, questionable water supply...I wonder if this is evidence of 'controlled Natural Selection' by unknown parties...
Wondering

Reactions: Debi
I heard its going to spread to all countries except two. Canada was one of them can't remember the other. It's really bad in south America too.

Wonder if residents of favelas are at a higher risk? Cramped, unsanitary conditions, questionable water supply...I wonder if this is evidence of 'controlled Natural Selection' by unknown parties...
Wondering
I'm wondering, too. Now, what makes me wonder a lot is how this suddenly exploded. Mutated? Engineered? GMO's? And the link to Bill Gates bothers me a lot on this one.

Well bill gates is well known for his view on population control...just to add some more to chew on.

Reactions: Debi