Military and spy agencies accused of stiff-arming investigators on UFO sightings

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score

Sorry to say this is what I expected when I first heard about the USN led "UFO task force" and its tasking to release a "public accounting" of its investigations and findings.

This situation has less to do with UFO secrecy or what guys like Bassett call a "truth embargo" than it does interservice/interagency rivalries and what's known in the defense world as the "rice bowl syndrome." In the military, rice bowl is used to describe someone else's turf (literal or metaphorical), with an implication that the owner is very protective of their area/responsibilities/resources.

I can tell you with a high degree of confidence how things would have transpired had a request for assistance/information from the Navy task force landed on my desk as a USAF functional lead in this day and age of doing more with less and tight budgets. I'd have asked my boss, a GO, where this request ranked in my priorities. The response would have been twofold, 1) You don't work for the Navy, and 2) We received no funding to support this effort. The GO would have probably added until he got a direct order to support the TF from up his chain of command, ignore it.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
Yup.
Not very optimistic but thanks for the Insight Duke.

Reactions: Paulm
Yup.
Not very optimistic but thanks for the Insight Duke.
Things could change fairly rapidly if Congress raises a stink about a lack of support for the effort. A letter to the service chiefs from Senate Armed Services Committee would light a fire under them.

Reactions: Debi