Lunar Leftovers?

Just look at it, Lynne. The moon is covered with huge impact craters. It's not hard to believe that some of the material blasted out of those craters is still orbiting the sun.

We have found meteorites on earth that came from Mars originally. A mountain of orbiting moon rock is just an extension of the same principle.

so, if that broke off of the moon and the moon broke off of the earth does that mean that the earth is orbiting the earth while it orbits the earth and we are flying a long ways just to be back on earth?????

so, if that broke off of the moon and the moon broke off of the earth does that mean that the earth is orbiting the earth while it orbits the earth and we are flying a long ways just to be back on earth?????
I was under the impression that the moon was not related to earth in its makeup. That it came from something else.

The current popular theory is that a Mars-sized object struck the earth obliquely, and the moon is what coalesced from the debris blown-off. So it likely would contain elements from both worlds. Lunar samples returned by the Apollo astronauts showed a difference between chemical abundances on the moon vs. the earth.

Hey, it takes longer to go on a short cruise than it did to get to the moon, lol.

Hey, GW is that you in the avatar pic?

Yep, that was me around 1980 or so. Can't believe I was ever that young. Sigh.

But back to something more recent. This one predates my last major haircut. Hopefully my very last, lol.

Attachments

• 1980a.jpg
    1980a.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: garnetsilver