Learning to drive...

As a side note, both my children just got their learners permits so I'm going to be teaching them to drive over the coming months. Which will be real fun in winter as we already had our first snow that dropped 6 inches over night just a few weeks ago.

I've taken the kids to a big empty parking lot and let them drive around to get a feel for working the wheel and pedals. It took my son a few minutes to figure out switching his foot from one pedal to the other without bending over and looking at the pedals. My daughter was having trouble figuring out when to turn the wheel to take a corner so all her turns are either too tight ot too wide. But I'll get them trained, I've akso signed them up for actual driving lessons at a driving school sothat should help as well. Although both kids have requested that I be the one to teach them rather than my wife. Apparently when the professional driving instructor was giving them a list of Do's and Don't s they interpreted as "Drive like Dad because Mom does just about everything on the Don't list."

It might be a dumb idea but I told my wife that I was considering getting steering wheel and pedals that plug into the computer that they make for playing driving games. Being a gamer I already have a dozen or so various driving games so it might help the kids get used to working the wheel and pedals if they could "practice" on a video game. I was expecting her to say something like "In other words you want a steering wheel to play video games" which would be somewhat true. I used to have one years ago until the dog decided to mark it as his own which shorted or corroded something in the electronics and it never worked right again. To my surprise however, my wife really liked the steering wheel idea so I'm... I'm mean my kids... are getting one to play racing games... I mean driving simulation programs.
Steve, you have been so humorous lately, I am cracking up reading this. I love the idea of the steering wheel addition to the driving simulation programs. It certainly can't hurt. What state are you in? I can't remember if you have told us, you have snow already!

These two were so good looking in their youth, another example of how aging sucks. This seems to be my theme this month so just ignore me. I remember when the guy playing the inventor in this skit was on an episode of Star trek when he was a teenager. He always gave me a weird vibe. It is shocking to see how much time has passed because it seems like yesterday in my head.

Steve, you have been so humorous lately, I am cracking up reading this. I love the idea of the steering wheel addition to the driving simulation programs. It certainly can't hurt. What state are you in? I can't remember if you have told us, you have snow already!
I'm in Colorado just outside Denver. It's that time of year where the weather likes to flip back and forth between too hot and too cold. We had freezing temperatures in early October so I had to light the furnace to run the heater for about a week. Then it was nice for about a week then a snow storm was moving in so I had to drain and cover the swamp cooler so the water wouldn't freeze and damage it. About two days after the snow the temperature got up in the 60s-70s and I was debating if I should uncover and refill the swamp cooler for the next 3-5 days until it got down to freezing again.

I'm in Colorado just outside Denver. It's that time of year where the weather likes to flip back and forth between too hot and too cold. We had freezing temperatures in early October so I had to light the furnace to run the heater for about a week. Then it was nice for about a week then a snow storm was moving in so I had to drain and cover the swamp cooler so the water wouldn't freeze and damage it. About two days after the snow the temperature got up in the 60s-70s and I was debating if I should uncover and refill the swamp cooler for the next 3-5 days until it got down to freezing again.
You live in a beautiful state for sure. It won't be long and all doubt about winter will be gone. It is nearly upon us...again sigh

Stevedog, my grandparents lived in Estes Park near Denver. My ski bum cousins still live up in the mountains. Vail, Golden, Telluride and Boulder.

Anyway, A few years ago I went to a White Sox game, rode in the backseat. I'm looking out the window on a pretty busy highway, and it was terrifying how many drivers were on their phones. Texting, watching movies.
I had to look straight ahead. It was nuts.
I hear ya, Selectric !